Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

lineup on 5-24-2020

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

are dealers reluctant to aluminize a secondary???

Started by BABOafrica, 10/16/2012 09:11AM
Posted 10/16/2012 09:11AM Opening Post
I've sent emails to six different companies asking for a price to aluminize a new secondary made with plate glass. All located in the US.

I've given several days to respond, in two cases several weeks.

NOBODY has written back to me.

Seems odd. Maybe it's such a small item that it's not worth their trouble.

Clears,
Joe

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm
Posted 10/27/2012 11:46AM #1
Hi Joseph, I did the same thing when I needed to recoat my SCT secondary earlier this year. No one responded so
I finally called up L&L optical and they said they could do it in 7-10 days. During the phone conversation
the fellow on the phone acknowledged that he had read my email -- which was slightly annoying. But price,
turn-around time and form of payment was all handled on the phone. About 2 weeks later I had my newly coated
secondary. Calling is often a better strategy than emailing when dealing with astro vendors/suppliers in my experience.
Posted 10/28/2012 06:59AM #2
Thanks to Kwang Lee and Floyd Blue for the recommendation: L&L.

I finally got an answer from one of the vendors -- a guy in Pleasanton, CA who sells an aluminizing service via eBay.

I'll look up L&L also and check it out.

Clears,
Joe

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm