NEOWISE With Airplane 7/17/20

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Drives for homemade GEM

Started by rkrzeczowski, 11/18/2011 09:06PM
Posted 11/18/2011 09:06PM Opening Post
Looking for advice on building/buying single or dual axis drives for old homemade GEM. Mount is very stable but no drives. Telescope use will be for visual and fundamental image capture. Looking for where to buy gears, motors, controls or purchase ready made without going broke. Also, could use some plans for building if need be.

I can provide images of mount or further information needed that might be helpfull to discussion.
Posted 11/19/2011 11:08PM #1
I have asked the same question before and have not gotten much except in the way of cannibalising an existing mount...

I am sure there are machine shops that can make the parts for you dfor a fee. Have you thought about belt drives? Also, I was recently in Santa Monica and gat a chance to tour a facility that puts RCOS opical tube on in house made mounts. The telescopes are goning to be used as a world array of remote telescopes. I was pretty impressed with the mounts, they used rollers instead of gears to drive the mounts in RA.

It is what it is...
Posted 11/20/2011 03:21PM #2
Robert Krzeczowski said:

Looking for advice on building/buying single or dual axis drives for old homemade GEM. Mount is very stable but no drives. Telescope use will be for visual and fundamental image capture. Looking for where to buy gears, motors, controls or purchase ready made without going broke. Also, could use some plans for building if need be.

I can provide images of mount or further information needed that might be helpfull to discussion.

Images would be nice..so we can see what's at stake in the build.

Eternity is a long time to be wrong.....so accept Jesus as your Savior.