Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

glue and kydex

Started by dantsg, 08/29/2009 07:38PM
Posted 08/29/2009 07:38PM Opening Post
I have some kydex left over and would like to make a dew shield for a finder - I've tried to glue the kydex to the appropriate circumference but the glue does not seem to be working ...is this a property of the kydex or has my glue and hardener been out inthe garage for too many winters? Any other suggestions,

many thnaks,

Dan
Posted 08/30/2009 12:19AM #1
Dan,

The two best ways to make Kydex to stick to itself are by using some type of PVC solvent cement or using a hot air welding process, but that takes some special equipment.
See: http://www.kydex.com/briefs/113.pdf
Posted 09/21/2009 09:13PM #2
If the glue didn't work or was messy, you might try an industrial VHB double-stick tape, such as the ones made by 3M. It's quite expensive and hard to find if I remember correctly. VHB stands for very high bond, and this stuff is amazingly strong. It will NOT come apart, is easy to work with and it's easy to find uses for this stuff around the house. I work in the woodworking industry and have also used a product sold for a totally different purpose which I think is similar in performance and available in single rolls. It's called SpeedTape, made by FastCap... link below...

It's 10 bucks for a 50' roll 3/4" wide and I bet would stick kydex to itself very well. Clean both surfaces with acetone prior to bonding.

http://www.fastcap.com/speedtape.aspx
Posted 10/03/2009 02:26AM #3
What kind of "glue" did you use? You mention hardener, so I'm guessing it was 2 part epoxy.
Did you sand or rough up the parts that received the epoxy? If not, that can help.
I used automotive trim adhesive on Kydex and it seeme to work well.
Contact cement might work as well. Again, I'd roughen the places to receive adhesive.
Astrozap sews their Velcro on to their dew-shields. It's a bit of extra work, but not much.