IC410

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

grinding a mirror // my first attempt

Started by BABOafrica, 05/06/2012 05:53AM
Posted 05/06/2012 05:53AM Opening Post
Thanks to the kindness of one of the Astromart old-timers--and his unflagging encouragement--I'm jumping into the mirror grinding adventure.

If this works, I'll be truly amazed.

I guess for some of you, it's the sort of thing you do with your eyes closed and your hands tied behind your back. But for the first-timer, it looks like a daunting task.

I got some books (four of them at this point) so I've got more information/advice than I can cope with.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Clears,
Joe

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm
Posted 05/06/2012 06:15AM #1
Joseph Babendreier said:

Thanks to the kindness of one of the Astromart old-timers--and his unflagging encouragement--I'm jumping into the mirror grinding adventure.

If this works, I'll be truly amazed.

I guess for some of you, it's the sort of thing you do with your eyes closed and your hands tied behind your back. But for the first-timer, it looks like a daunting task.

I got some books (four of them at this point) so I've got more information/advice than I can cope with.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Clears,
Joe

Congratulations on your new adventure. If you keep it simple, follow the instructions and don't try to take any shortcuts you will get a good mirror. Have fun!

dan
Posted 05/06/2012 07:41AM #2
Joe, it's nice to hear of your new project. I find working on a mirror to be a meditational time. You'll also develop arms like Popeye's. What size mirror and what focal length are you aiming for?

George
Posted 06/09/2012 04:39AM #3
Been doing a lot of grinding on my 12.5" blank. Pretty slow going. I've logged about 10 hours of grinding.

The sagitta is down somewhere between 1.5mm and 2mm.

The curve is 0.5 mm deep at 4" out from the center of the blank on all sides. Nice and smooth so far.

I am running out of #80 grit though and so this will delay things.

Clears,
Joe

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm