M45 Pleiades

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

My New Outreach Scope is ALMOST Done...

Started by kfiscus, 05/30/2015 09:55PM
Posted 05/30/2015 09:55PM | Edited 05/30/2015 09:57PM Opening Post
most of the fun stuff is done anyway. This is a hybrid (too pretty to call a Frankenscope) made from a 12" Lightbridge and a 12" Zhumell (both GSO scopes). The top tube and trusses are LightBridge and the bottom is the former top of a parted-out Z12. I chose to use the top end of the Z12 to experiment with a boundary layer fan. It will blow across the primary through the 3" hole that used to host the focuser. I installed original-model aluminum adjustable alt bearings. Everything is going to get painted an attractive medium gray.

The base is a knock-down dob base that weighs only 21 pounds. The stock base weighs 40 pounds and is 5" taller. It's most eye-catching feature is an operational planisphere in the groundboard. The 400 stars and Milky Way are wood burned into the knotless Baltic Birch. I plan on staining the uprights and base with MinWax Ebony stain and just clear varnishing the groundboard.

I still have to install the flocking, Astrocrumb filter slide rails (original style), and 3" boundary layer fan. I already have an Astrozap light shroud ready to install when everything else is ready. I rotated the spider 45 degrees to accommodate the filter slide. I also rotated the focuser 45 degrees for ease of use. The top end has the bases for a Telrad and optical finder. I still need to wood burn the numerical labels for the dates on the groundboard and the dates on the base.

Attached Image:

kfiscus's attachment for post 59427

Customized Zhumell Z12 on Dedicated Atomic EQ Platform
Customized Hybrid Z12/Lightbridge on Baltic Birch Planisphere Mount

(I'm holding famous Martian meteorite ALH84001 in the picture.)
Posted 05/30/2015 09:59PM #1
Here's a view of the planisphere in the base. This is intended for outreach and showing off and is not an object locater.

Attached Image:

kfiscus's attachment for post 149676

Customized Zhumell Z12 on Dedicated Atomic EQ Platform
Customized Hybrid Z12/Lightbridge on Baltic Birch Planisphere Mount

(I'm holding famous Martian meteorite ALH84001 in the picture.)