Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: dew sheild lining

Started by NebSteve, 11/15/2012 02:22AM
Posted 11/15/2012 02:22AM Opening Post
Felt can absorb moisture, and it sheds little hairs, but these problems are so slight and so unusual as not to worry. Just keep the mousture in mind and you should do just fine. If you're looking for an alternate material, I found black silk used in some appolstry applications is as flat and non-reflecting as ever. Take a bright flashlight to a fabric store and buy the material that most emulates a black hole!

Steve
8)

billy moss said:

Hi
I live in a subdivision, sometimes my neighbors outside lights seem to reflect into my objective. I have the flexible dew
sheilds, not metal, which are painted a flat black on the inside. I found some black self adhesive felt, which I cut to size and placed on the inside of the dew wheild, and it has cut down the reflections greatly. But I read somewhere that the felt would cause other problems, can't remember where I saw it. Can any one tell me what problems the felt may cause. It is very thin, flexible, and it seems that it should also help keep the objetive from dewing longer than just the sheild alone.
Thanks
Posted 11/15/2012 08:28AM #1
What Steve said. Probably not a issue for a external dew shield. If used inside the scope it can be an issue. If you are concerned you can seal it with Krylon Ultra Flat Black (not to thick so it won't crack when bending the shield). If you keep the shield on it's round shape it can be enhanced by gluing a baffle onto the end ( I use approx .5" wide baffle). It will help keep the off axis light fron illuminating the sides of the shield. If all else fails a simple light wall made from some poles and a tarp can shield your scope from the most offending light.

Have fun,
Jim