re-make of 10" dobsonian

Started by BABOafrica, 12/30/2012 07:07AM
Posted 12/30/2012 07:07AM Opening Post
I started out here in Astromart at Christmas time a couple of years ago after hobbling together a telescope using an old 10" mirror set. My subscription to Astromart was a Christmas present! Somebody obviously though I needed some help in building telescopes wink

I posted a picture of the 10" scope I had built. Someone who saw it suggested I undo a few things and follow the classic dobsonian design for easier operation.

I finally got around to doing that. So I thought I'd post a picture. It's still the same "piece of junk" that I started with (trash can parts other than the mirror set), with several parts re-fashioned and re-arranged.

I'm mainly in a stall right now. I'm waiting for a friend in New York to bring me the 3.1" secondary mirror which I won in an auction on Astromart. With that mirror I'll be able to complete my new 17.5" dobsonian.

Clears,
Joe

Attached Image:

BABOafrica's attachment for post 56983

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm
Posted 01/02/2013 10:19PM #1
Joe:

That is an awesome scope, John Dobson would be proud of you... It is a testament to your creativity and your inventiveness.

We should have a contest to identify the origin of the components....

I see what look like 2 seats from wooden school desks/chairs??

Happy New Year

Jon Isaacs
Posted 01/09/2013 07:39AM #2
Hi Joe,

It's been a while since I've checked these forums, else I would have spoken up earlier...that is one awesome scope. Inspired thinking outside the box. So what are those thin struts on the top side--bamboo? Old golf club? And let's see, maybe a hacksaw spider? I love it. And I thought I was good at scrounging--this one takes the prize.

-george

George Golitzin