Comet Neowise with satellite pass.

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

TMSP Student Telescope Making Program 2012

Started by AstroJack, 07/06/2012 04:05PM
Posted 07/06/2012 04:05PM Opening Post
Well it is almost time again and we are just about ready for this years program! Last year we built 5" & 10" scopes, and although it was a great success, we decided to do 8" scopes instead of the 10" scopes this year...

Last years thread can be found here:

http://www.astromart.com/forums/viewpost.asp?forum_post_id=765589

Thought it might be fun to post some of the prep work photos, and will post additional photos as things progress!

First photo: Rick (left) and Craig painting the inside of the 10" sonotube for an 8" scope. The back section is reenforced with a second piece of sonotube glued in doubling the thickness of the tube to better support the mirror cell.

Attached Image:

AstroJack's attachment for post 55827
Posted 07/06/2012 04:06PM #1
Now working on a 6" tube for a 5" scope. My son Zach (watching)also helped with the painting and table saw work that day.

Attached Image:

AstroJack's attachment for post 144709
Posted 07/06/2012 04:06PM #2
While they worked on the tubes, I was painting mirror cells for the 8" scopes, and getting ready to start cutting laminate for the mounts.... Here are the painted cells for this years 8" scopes, not very pretty yet. They will be finished up tonight and ready to mount mirrors on tomorrow!

Attached Image:

AstroJack's attachment for post 144710
Posted 07/06/2012 05:26PM #3
I would love to be able to start a program like this one, teaching the young and older folk's to know and build a basic telescope. Problem is, I don't know enough people that would put out the money or effort to learn how. But it's something to think about and try to draft a few people to build some of these great and very fun and useful telescope's. I love building them, it's my nerve tonic. Astronomy has been very helpful in that department....Lol
Clear Skies and build when it's cloudy,,,,
Darrell Hensley