M8 - The Lagoon

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

What have you started making today?

Started by rwiederrich, 08/10/2017 11:36PM
Posted 08/10/2017 11:36PM | Edited 08/10/2017 11:38PM Opening Post
Glad you asked....I began by turning a new 5" lens cell from a discarded aluminum high tolerance 1/4" thick lamp housing.
The forward flange is threaded and the cover has been removed so it can be chucked so I can part off the excess and turn down an edge so an aluminum tube can be slid over and bolted.

The inside is 5" with a cut away available for an *O* ring to support the objective. All in all, it turns out to be a fairly easy mod to create a quality lens cell. I have 4 to make.

Rob.

Attached Image:

rwiederrich's attachment for post 61016

Enjoying astronomy at the Eyepiece of large classic refractors.
Posted 08/11/2017 08:01AM #1
Nice! I think I used to have that Exact Same vintage thread-cutting lathe? The gear-shift is interesting. I eventually gave it to a friend who is a better machinist. The guy down the road has a full shop... it was interesting getting the Bridgeport into his basement! We made six 2-inch lens cells by modifying Edmund's 2-in extenders, only needed four. Using them now and they work fine! Tom

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos
Posted 08/11/2017 11:49AM #2
Neat machine work. Not to downplay the cool cell, I couldn't help but notice your "old school" lathe. I have worked with some high end iron in my machining career but I have a fondness for the older machines and the unique skill level required to operate them efficiently and safely. Impressive. I learned machining on similar lathes and mills. Good luck with your project and please keep us updated on your progress.

Keith (Scopejunkie)

Scopejunkie

40 year old restored C14 with recirculating cooling w/Skywatcher DOB GOTO Conversion (CPC14)

Synscan DOB mounted Sky-Watcher Evostar 150mm/1200mm ED Refractor

"Rescued" Craig's List Orion 120mm/1000mm Refractor

USAF Vet