IC410

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

What have you started making today?

Started by rwiederrich, 08/10/2017 11:36PM
Posted 08/10/2017 11:36PM | Edited 08/10/2017 11:38PM Opening Post
Glad you asked....I began by turning a new 5" lens cell from a discarded aluminum high tolerance 1/4" thick lamp housing.
The forward flange is threaded and the cover has been removed so it can be chucked so I can part off the excess and turn down an edge so an aluminum tube can be slid over and bolted.

The inside is 5" with a cut away available for an *O* ring to support the objective. All in all, it turns out to be a fairly easy mod to create a quality lens cell. I have 4 to make.

Rob.

Attached Image:

rwiederrich's attachment for post 61016

Enjoying astronomy at the Eyepiece of large classic refractors.
Posted 08/11/2017 08:01AM #1
Nice! I think I used to have that Exact Same vintage thread-cutting lathe? The gear-shift is interesting. I eventually gave it to a friend who is a better machinist. The guy down the road has a full shop... it was interesting getting the Bridgeport into his basement! We made six 2-inch lens cells by modifying Edmund's 2-in extenders, only needed four. Using them now and they work fine! Tom

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos
Posted 08/11/2017 11:49AM #2
Neat machine work. Not to downplay the cool cell, I couldn't help but notice your "old school" lathe. I have worked with some high end iron in my machining career but I have a fondness for the older machines and the unique skill level required to operate them efficiently and safely. Impressive. I learned machining on similar lathes and mills. Good luck with your project and please keep us updated on your progress.

Keith (Scopejunkie)

Scopejunkie

Restored Celestron C-14 with recirculating cooling
Celestron 180mm F/15 Maksutov