New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Where can I get an OTA for 9" lens???

Started by mirfak, 05/10/2015 12:37PM
Posted 05/10/2015 12:37PM Opening Post
Hello
I'm interested in a large, short refractor like the IStar 9" f/7.7
They only offer lens, not the complete telescope. Any ideas on where to get a tube made?
I've already had one refusal from a machinist who is VERY qualified to make it. Didn't even get to talk price. I don't have a shop, tools, or skills to make anything. I just want a large refractor that's easy to mount, for low power observing, and under $5500.

Thanks
John

http://www.istar-optical.com/achromatic-doublet.html#lens15
Posted 05/10/2015 01:06PM #1
john raymond said:

Hello
I'm interested in a large, short refractor like the IStar 9" f/7.7
They only offer lens, not the complete telescope. Any ideas on where to get a tube made?
I've already had one refusal from a machinist who is VERY qualified to make it. Didn't even get to talk price. I don't have a shop, tools, or skills to make anything. I just want a large refractor that's easy to mount, for low power observing, and under $5500.

Thanks
John

http://www.istar-optical.com/achromatic-doublet.html#lens15

Before I ultimately made the decision to build my 8" f/16 myself which is all but finished now I did some investigating into having someone else build it. As I own a 10" f/5 newt made by Parallax and it is definitely a fine example of craftsmanship I decided to talk to Joe about building the OTA for my lens. We got around to talking about a ball park price ($1800) after some discussion about what I wanted. This was about 5 years ago so I am sure pricing may be somewhat higher now but it was definitely reasonable based on what I now know it takes having done it myself. I would suggest you contact Joe Nastasi at Parallax and discuss it.....I also have another scope he built though not for me which is a 90mm f/16.6 that is also an excellent piece of work and is collimatable on both ends.

I don't have a pic of it handy but I do have a pic of a 6" long focus refractor he built that I really liked and combined with knowing the quality of the 10" newt I have led me to consider having him build the 8" refractor.....see below.

Attached Image:

Greg Shaffer's attachment for post 149624

Dont Let Trump Cheat!! Demand Voter ID Now!
20" MidnighTelescopes f/5
8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
Parallax PI250 10" F/5 Newt
Vixen FL102S,NA140SS,R200SS
80mm Stellarvue Nighthawk with WO APOupgrade lens, 90mm f/16.67 Parallax Achro
LXD75/LX200, Mini-tower, GP-DX, CG5 ASGT, LXD650, GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-150EX, GM-200 and a Gemini G40
4" portable AP convertable 44" or 70" pier
Stellarvue M7 Alt-Az, TSL7 Pier/Tripod
12.5" f/5 MidnighTelescopes DOB Swayze optics
Statham GA