Register an account...

Need Help?

New website for astronomers under 40

Started by mirfak, 08/19/2006 12:02PM
Posted 08/19/2006 12:02PM Opening Post
Dont know exactly where to post this, I hope its not too off-topic

Gen X Astronomy
http://genxastronomy.com/

This is the website for astronomers of Generation X. We dont sell anything, and its not much of a site, its just a forum right now. Its a place for people my age and interests to speak up, express opinions, and be counted. I concieved Gen-X astronomy last year, and got fellow Gen-Xer Jim to bring the website to life. I invite you to join Gen-X astronomy, drop in occasionally and voice your opinion among your peers.

You are Gen X-if you

Were young when you saw Star Wars for the first time
Feel a little out of place among the old heads in your astronomy club
Are currently a fan of the new Battlestar Galactica, but remember the original with nostalgic fondness

Im Gen-X. Im 35, amateur astronomer, science fiction fan. I know there are many others like me.
I remember the 80's very well. My growing up years. These were the best years before the breakup of Journey, the Police, and Van Halen. In 1997 I played 'Licensed to Ill' until the cassette wore out. Television was only 4 channels, with shows like "A-Team" "Knight Rider" "Buck Rogers" "Battlestar Galactica" "Airwolf"

Three themes of Gen X Astronomy
1. Astronomy
2. The 80's
3. Science Fiction

What Gen X Astronomy discussions are not about:

1. Grandchildren
2. Little blue or green pills
3. Retirement planning

Get the picture?

Clear skies,
John

Attached Image:

mirfak's attachment for post 33025
Posted 08/20/2006 12:39PM #1
Good luck with you website, John.
I hope you are successful. We need new blood.
But then, at 50, I've only been at this for 3 years.
Will you be checking ID's at the door? wink
Linton
Posted 08/20/2006 03:30PM #2
I'm 37, but I need tips for keeping these dang kids out of my yard!
Posted 08/21/2006 06:30AM #3
"The problem with science fiction is that it is far too unimaginative"
Dr. Edward Teller

Rick H

Same skies, older eyes
Posted 08/28/2006 06:21PM | Edited 08/28/2006 06:39PM #4
John said:

--------------
"its just a forum right now. Its a place for people my age and interests to speak up, express opinions, and be counted."
--------------

Heck, I wonder what is Astromart all about, if it is not THAT and MUCH MORE...
Sounds to me like somebody can't stand being around people that KNOW much more than him and COULD contribute to his KNOWLEDGE EXPANSION...

Some of my Astronomy friends are half my age (and I'm 41), and we get along just great... and there are no arguments at all about the difference in age.

I guess that the Gen-X CREATOR of this Thread is not interested in answering/posting anything else on this thread... amazing, just like dropping a grenade and running...

You guys get the picture? 8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 08/28/2006 08:47PM #5
Hey Johnny,

Have you ever taken a 10" Optical Craftsman and smashed it on stage??
Posted 08/29/2006 08:36PM #6
I get back from the star party to find this?

I thought the acrimony was in "refractor vs reflector", guess I'm wrong. shocked

Please let me explain further about Gen-X Astronomy:

First I apologize to those who seem offended, please understand the site is "for", not "against" any person or group. I did not start this post to polarize the astro-community, or start a flame war.

"Under 40" is perhaps not the best terminology. It is simply my experience that *currently* most of the people in my age group are between 30 and 40.
Among the active observers in our area and age group, there are only two that I know of. One is me.

Gen-X Astronomy is just my tiny piece of the internet that I use to say "Here I am, this is what I do, if youre similar, speak up"

I dont understand some of the posts that are downright negative. I thank those that had something nice to say, its appreciated.

John R
Posted 09/07/2006 01:43PM #7
I'm turning 53 tomorrow, but I loved Star Wars when it first came out, and still do. You are only as old as you feel. As far as retirement planning, the earlier you plan, the better off you'll be.

Get the picture John?

Alan