M8 - The Lagoon

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

The most enjoyable item to view after dark

Started by Startest, 09/28/2006 12:24PM
Posted 09/28/2006 12:24PM Opening Post
For me it has been the planets from my light polluted skies in the Washington DC suburbs. Right now they are hard to see from my valley location. Most of the items I can view have to be fairly high in the sky before I can even see them. Lately I have been getting into taking pictures with my Nikon DLSR. Just wondering on which objects the rest of you have had any success from light polluted skies.
Posted 09/28/2006 01:16PM #1
I walk my dog every night.
Each year, after Deneb and Vega appear, I wait for Altair to appear rising in the East over the horizon.
I carry binoculars w/ me and the views of the Pleiades, the Coathanger, the Beehive cluster, the Double Cluster and the alpha Persei region never fail to amaze me w/ their beauty.
I also love seeing the moons of Jupiter (4 anyway) w/ my hand held binoculars.
I use 15x70s, 20x80s, 26x70s, 12x60s, and 20x60s among others. So many books advocate 10x50s but I've not enjoyed those as much.
I now have a monopod w/ Oberwerk 20x80 LW. Very, very nice even for lunar viewing.
Posted 09/28/2006 08:00PM #2
>>Just wondering on which objects the rest of you have had any success from light polluted skies.
----

Johann..

Using a telescope, I like the planets when they are up, double stars, clusters of all types and various nebulas... Favorites (besides M42) open clusters, a lot of variety and a lot of character. They can be interesting in all sizes of scopes.

Jon
Posted 09/28/2006 08:55PM #3
I'll never grow tired of looking at globulars. The scale and composition of those things is staggering, and it will never cease to amaze me. I also enjoy watching transits of Jupiter, very cool.

Williams Optics 66mm Petzval
Orion Skyquest XT6 Classic
Nikon D40 DSLR

http://theguvnah.blogspot.com
Posted 09/29/2006 05:51AM #4
Getting back on the topic, I try whenever possible to tease details out of M31, M33, M51, and M101. There is always a challenge in our SC skies to extract detail, be it knots in 33, spiral arms in 101, or dust lanes in 31. It is always exciting when something reveals itself. Last night under mag+4 skies but decent transparency, I spent quite a bit of time swapping EPs on M31 to extract the best view. It varied between my 24mm TV widefield and 17mm Hyperion. M33 still is a challenge. It was there, but confirming spiral arms was wistful and perhaps more hope than reality. Surprisingly, M57 was brighter than other views at a darker site. Thank you fall weather, it is improving and backyard scoping is definitely getting better.

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 10/03/2006 01:42PM #5
As I am a NYC resident, I got you beat on light pollution smile

I really enjoy double stars and globular clusters, and the brighter M objects. I use a constallation guide by a guy named Tom Trusock (google his name to get the guides), and I dedicate a few weeks of time to each of the constallations that pass by near the zenith.

- Peter