Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Astronomy touted in Men's Health Magazine!

Started by Sunwolf, 11/14/2008 07:54PM
Posted 11/14/2008 07:54PM Opening Post
The November 2008 issue of Men's Health magazine had an article about suggestions for dating here is an excerpt from "Elevate Any Date: Here's how to make the predictable date an unforgettable adventure."

Under point 2: "Evening stroll in the park
YOUR UPGRADE: Give her the Universe, too. It's one thing to point up at the sky and blurt out, "Big Dipper!" That'll likely be the beginning and end of the conversation. Instead, show her some celestial sights up close.

A glimpse of Saturn's rings or Jupiter's moons through even the most modest equipment should make her melt, not only because they are gorgeous to look at, but also because seeing them firsthand makes them real in a way no Hubble photo can. Plus, it's a natural way to start a conversation about Big Stuff. "Looking at the night sky is great for encouraging discussion about those things we think about but don't discuss much in daily life," say Yvonne K. Fulbright, Ph.D., a Washington based sex educator and author of Pleasuring: The Secrets to Sexual Satisfaction. "It can range from where we come from to what else is out there."

You don't want to wrestle with ungainly gear that you have trouble operating, so err on the side of simple, says Artie Kunhardt of the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York. Kunhardt suggests buying a star chart, a pair of 7X50 binoculars, and a small photo tripod. He also recommends printing out a chart of that evening's celestial highlights. Use this in addition to the star chart, which doesn't show the exact positions of the stars because they change on a nightly basis. Then kick back and show her that heaven exists." -end article excerpt.

Hoowheee! That's a real date for me and I love that it is being touted in such a mainstream mag. (Yes, I do read Men's Health magazine.) It is getting astronomy out there and making it something accessable for both men and women. What a great way to woo a lady and introduce her to your love of astronomy too. Kudo's to Men's Health!

Dawn
Posted 11/15/2008 09:44AM #1
Hah, buy a telescope to get women interested in you? come on....geez

Actually, it may be a great advertising angle for Meade and Celestron to increase their sales...

Celestron could bring back their telescope gals...

It reminds me of the TV ads for notebook PCS showing women "interested" in men looking over their shoulders as the cruise the web....

Haha! Come on, I was not born yesterday!
Posted 11/21/2008 02:14AM #2
Dawn Grove said:

The November 2008 issue of Men's Health magazine had an article about.....

I bet that the “Men’s Health” article did not cover the health benefits of hauling your wife’s telescope around.

About 10 years ago there was a lady in the same astro club as I, whose husband could not care less about astronomy. Although a reasonably healthy person, she sometimes found it difficult to move here Meade 10-inch SCT at the end of a night. After getting woken up at 2am to carry the scope into the garage for the 20th time, hubby finally agreed to the building of a roll-off roof observatory in their backyard.

George N