M3 Globular Cluster

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Eye Concerns Viewing Full Moon

Started by pneesam, 05/29/2008 06:02AM
Posted 05/29/2008 06:02AM Opening Post
Should there be a concern viewing a full moon through a large scope with out using a moon filter? I'm about ready to start using a 12.5 inch and don't want to damage my eyes. Once before I viewed a full moon with a 10 inch and noticed my eyes hurt for a few days afterword, they felt like they had been in windy conditions, kind of dry and tender. Best to get feedback from those with more experience. I have not read anything or seen anything about this issue. I do have a moon filter...

Thanks in advance...
Posted 05/29/2008 07:59AM #1
Paul Neesam said:

Should there be a concern viewing a full moon through a large scope with out using a moon filter? I'm about ready to start using a 12.5 inch and don't want to damage my eyes. Once before I viewed a full moon with a 10 inch and noticed my eyes hurt for a few days afterword, they felt like they had been in windy conditions, kind of dry and tender. Best to get feedback from those with more experience. I have not read anything or seen anything about this issue. I do have a moon filter...

Thanks in advance...

No. To put the brightness of the Moon in perspective, look for the gibbous Moon in the daytime sky. Compared to what we see around us on a bright sunny day, the Moon is very pale. If it is easy to do, observe it with your telescope during the day.

Clear skies, Alan
Posted 05/29/2008 10:04AM #2
There are no direct issues with moon brightness, but it is
possible to stare in the eyepiece too long, and
forget to blink, etc. The eye will dry out and
become uncomfortable. Squinting to reduce brightness
also causes problem. Best to use the moon filter if
it "feels" uncomfortably bright.
Posted 05/31/2008 10:55AM #3
I don't think you have to worry.

I like to look at the Moon without a filter in a 20 inch Obsession. Sure, its bright. Sure I have trouble seeing the steps on the ladder afterwards, but it hasn't done any damage to my eyes. Its like turning up the sound loud on your car stereo.