Freezing temps and Laptops

Started by psledlie, 11/16/2014 01:06AM
Posted 11/16/2014 01:06AM Opening Post
Hi,

I'm just getting back into astrophotography after a long absence, and had a question. I was thinking about going with my gear this month, but the temps are going to be in the 20's. Does anyone have any experience using a laptop and DSLR in really cold temps? I could fall back on my old ST-4 if needed, though I like using the laptop with PHD guiding better.

Thanks for any info,
Peter Ledlie
Posted 11/16/2014 01:39PM #1
I have had no problems with using a laptop in the cold. I do throw an insulating cover over it when I close it up and monitor it remotely.

Jerry Brown
Posted 11/16/2014 06:08PM #2
I made a box from a plastic container that was large enough to hold the laptop when open. I then put a black fleese flap that comes down over the opening when I am not sitting there. The laptop makes heat so it keeps the box warmer than the outside air. Never had a problem down to about 12f.
DSLR's I have not used so I cannot comment on them. smile

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 11/17/2014 04:13AM #3
Years (decades?) ago I did hundreds of multi-hour DS pics "the old fashioned way" pushing the 4 buttons on an old Cave Astrola 12.5-inch. The gears were terrible so I couldn't relax and sometimes temps were sub-zero! Then the miraculous ST-4 came out and I replaced the RA gear with a Byers 11+ incher and made a precision tangent arm for Dec. Miraculous! That Astrola locked onto guide star like a bulldog. I would actually sleep and come back to that wonderful sound of the solenoids still clacking. On topic - I had it in a powered dome so set my laptop on a heating pad set on low. Only precaution would be to not inadvertently OVER heat your PC. But they have auto shut off even of that were to happen. The DSLR manual would spec temp tolerance. Even there a heater strip would probably keep it happy. Tom Dey

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos