IC410

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Need help Identifying Object

Started by Kevin, 09/15/2012 07:53PM
Posted 09/15/2012 07:53PM Opening Post
Okay, saw something rather strange and need help. I have been observing for some 20 years and have never seen anything as strange as this, and was looking for an explanation.

I was setting up my scope in the early nite sky. I had just seen the Tiangong satallite pass over at 20:54 on September 15 over Queensbury, NY. But at 21:12, I saw a very bright orange light moving all the way accross the sky like the ISS, but it was at least mag -4 or brighter and it was very orange. At first I thought it was a slow fireball, but it just kept going. Straight, no sound. This moved W to E at about 70 deg altitude. It dissapeared in east at about 40 deg alt. Then 10 minutes later, another same trajectory but carried on all the way to horizon. These had similar speed to ISS.

Any ideas?
Posted 09/16/2012 06:09AM | Edited 09/16/2012 06:11AM #1
You described it perfectly. I saw it about two months ago but going east to west. It was dark but not all the way dark. I thought the ISS but at just the right time to pick up the orange to red glow from the setting sun but it didn't brighten as it headed to the western horizon. Crazy looking.

Harry
Posted 09/26/2012 10:59AM #2
About four weeks ago, I saw the same exact thing you are talking about. The object was at least as bright as the ISS, traveled from WNW to ESE, at about the same altitude as your object. Next day, I was looking for someone to say something on one of the astronomy groups, but no suck luck. And sadly I never said anything, till now. At the time I saw the object, the ISS was not due in my sky. I saw the object only once. I swear, it looked reddish and seemed to have a small comet tail. My girlfriend also saw it.