New PBS Documentary "400 Years of the Telescope"

Started by cdfratzog, 04/07/2009 05:37PM
Posted 04/07/2009 05:37PM Opening Post
I posted this in "News", but I'm not sure if it will clear in time.

A new PBS Documentary called "400 Years of the Telescope. A Journey of Science, Technology and Thought" will be airing on Friday, April 10th, at 10:00PM ET. Check local listings, since your PBS affiliate may time shift this program.

Panoramic visuals and engaging interviews make 400 Years of the Telescope the must-see documentary of the International Year of Astronomy in 2009.

Beautifully photographed in 4K digital cinematography, the film is a visually stunning chronicle of the history of the telescope from the time of Galileo, its profound impact upon the science of astronomy, and how both shape the way we view ourselves in the midst of an infinite universe.

The film features interviews with leading astrophysicists and cosmologists from the world's renowned universities and observatories, who explain concepts ranging from Galileo's act of revealing the cosmos with a simple telescope, to the latest discoveries in space, including startling new ideas about life on other planets and dark energy — a mysterious vacuum energy that is accelerating the expansion of the universe.

Join us on this companion website to explore this fascinating subject as you meet the film's producers and their worldwide search for the world's greatest telescopes, enjoy captivating interviews with brilliant personalities, learn about planetarium programs in your area and discover local and faraway opportunities to experience our incredible universe firsthand.

Link: http://www.400years.org/
Posted 04/08/2009 04:27AM | Edited 04/08/2009 04:27AM #1
Chris, Thanks I am setting the hd dvr right now...
Posted 04/10/2009 03:52AM | Edited 04/10/2009 07:02PM #2
Not long after watching the trailer I picked up the May issue of Sky & Telescope. Lo and behold there was a favorable review of the program on page 40. How about that!

Dave Mitsky

Chance favors the prepared mind.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Posted 04/13/2009 12:47AM | Edited 04/15/2009 04:31PM #3
I saw 400 Years of the Telescope not long ago on the local PBS station. Here are my thoughts on the program.

Overall, I thought 400 Years of the Telescope was very, very good, one of the best astronomy programs that I've seen on television. It was well-narrated by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, had excellent digital photography (I wish that WITF broadcast in better high def than 720p HD), and explained the development of the optical telescope since its invention in a logical and easily understandable manner.

My only criticisms, and they are minor, are that other forms of telescopy (infrared, ultraviolet, x-ray, and gamma-ray) either went unmentioned or were given short schrift (there was a brief segment on radio telescopy near the end of the program), that many important historical discoveries were not discussed at all, and that there was no mention of amateur astronomy and discoveries made by amateurs. It would be hard to fit all of that in a 55-minute long program but I think a few minutes would have been enough to at least make a start.

In short, the program was very much about the technology of the optical telescope, which it covered extremely well, with a strong emphasis on current day work and a look towards the future of professional astronomy.

Dave Mitsky

Chance favors the prepared mind.

De gustibus non est disputandum.