Package lost between Canada and South Carolina

Started by Jim Phillips, 07/14/2010 07:47PM
Posted 07/14/2010 07:47PM | Edited 07/14/2010 07:47PM Opening Post
Hello all,
I have had shipments sent to me from Europe, England, Australia and Asia without difficulties. But, I purchased a refractor off Astromart in June. It arrived in the US July 7 and that is the last that USPS has. I just got off the phone with a supervisor at the United States Postal Service and she said, the person in Canada had used a method of shipping that cannot be tracked in the USA. So, when it entered the US on July 7th that was the last it could be tracked. Now, she says, the individual in Canada must begin a search. How, I wonder, will a Canadian shipper be able to track a package in the US if the USPS cannot? Has anyone had this problem?

best,

Jim Phillips
Posted 07/14/2010 10:33PM #1
Jim: I can't really help you but there is a thread in the astromart FAQ forum about selling outside the CONUS, you might get some help there.

Jon
Posted 07/14/2010 11:28PM #2
Hello Jim,
Basically, what the USPS supervisor has told you means: -

1] The shipping method paid for by the sender does not include door-to-door tracking

2] Because it is the SENDER that paid for the shipping (in Canada) then it is the seller, not the buyer who is "the customer

3] As a result of [2], an investigation into the whereabouts / fate of your package must be initiated by the SENDER

You have to: -

(i) Contact your seller
(ii) Confirm with your seller whether or not the lack of tracking described to you by USPS is actually true
(iii) Request that they formally initiate a query in Canada to the local authorities
(iv) Request that the seller provide you with all reference case numbers (CA/USPS) and a copy of all associated correspondence
(v) Request that the seller determine from the Canadian Authorities whether or not they are willing to have you assist in their investigations

That's about it that you can do at this time.

Sorry to hear this - for what its worth, non-expedited (that is shipping that is not FedEx or UPS) packages (6-10 day delivery class) to the UK via USPS or Canada Post can sometimes take up to SEVEN weeks to arrive to the door - Yes this happened to me twice. Takes 3 days max to get to the UK then they sit in UK Customs purgatory for weeks at a time before being released for delivery.

Hope your case is turns out as simple as that..,

Best wishes..,

Regards,

S Roberts
Posted 07/18/2010 04:15PM #3
Once bought an eyepiece from someone in Canada - took 4 weeks from the day he mailed it until delivery. I too have shipped and received stuff from all over the world, doing business with Canada is somehow "different". Be patient.
Posted 07/19/2010 12:40AM #4
Rather than Lost & based on my own Canada-to-USA as well as ordinary Parcel shipments within the CONUS, my opinion is that you simply have not allowed sufficient time for delivery. Be patient a bit longer; I've also ordered from world-wide many times.
Posted 07/21/2010 10:58AM #5
Package arrived safe and sound. You were all correct. It was held up in customs and when the seller initiated a search from his end the scope was shipped to me. Thanks for all the kind remarks. Patience is indeed the answer!

best,

Jim