Alpine Wolf

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: back to your roots

Started by Thomas Dey, 09/14/2014 08:49AM
Posted 09/14/2014 08:49AM Opening Post
Hi Billy (and other nostalgics!) I've been interested in the stars from childhood and am now retired, still decent health at age 66. Was an obsessive amateur a couple decades ago and went the full spectrum from increasingly ambitious (and $$$) scopes to film imaging to pics and articles published by Dickenson, Berry, Eicher, etc. Now finishing a 36-inch in a dome with time to use it! BUT - I just recovered a pathetic but nostalgic old used 3-inch Gilbert reflector...which was my 1st scope ever. I fondly recall sketching the moon and seeing Saturn's rings with that deficient little thing. But it was my window to the universe back then! Now my equipment is too big/expensive/maintenance/tiresome/heavy... It sometimes seems more like work rather than FUN maintaining and using it! I won't bore you with my impressive list of scopes and projects, but the take-away is "This guy's got a mental problem." One thing I AM enjoying...pretty much gave up imaging, even though it's gotten WAY easier with the newer high-end equipment. Imaging has gotten SO sophisticated that I just don't want to kill myself trying to keep up or out-do the magnificent amateur images appearing every month in S&T and Astro. So back to my roots of just LOOKING and enjoying the view. And a word to you folks on the up-ramp of ambition: Of all the scopes I have enjoyed, my "mid-sized" 17.5 Dob was BY FAR the most enjoyable bang for the buck. Not crazy expensive, good for all targets and really easy and comfortable to use. My old Gilbert is indeed deficient and my 36 is awesome but obsessive. No great wisdom here other than consul to enjoy what you've got and not Obsess too much. I feel like a father telling his kid how addictive smoking is...as he buys another carton and turns up the O2! Tom Dey

Attached Image:

Thomas Dey's attachment for post 58712

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos