Alpine Wolf

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

SEEING BLUE !

Started by Thomas Dey, 05/24/2015 09:32AM
Posted 05/24/2015 09:32AM Opening Post
“BLUE MY SOCKS OFF” – is the only term that does it justice. I will briefly describe the affect here but should resubmit as an article later. This regards the mystique of increased Blue Sensitivity as a side-effect Benefit of Cataract Surgery. First, brief quote from the LUNT site: “The Calcium K line is centered at 393.4 nm. This wavelength is considered to be slightly outside the visible spectrum on the UV side. While most people can visually see the violet color of the wavelength, many cannot resolve the contrast due to yellowing of the cornea. People who have had cataract surgery are often able to see considerable detail. But, it is for these reasons that the Ca-K line is typically studied via the use of cameras, which are able to provide stunning details.” I discussed this with LUNT’s Rikki Hocking and she noted the same from experience with users. The CaK requires a dark hood to maybe just barely see anything at all (let alone detail) in CaK. But those who have had Cataract Surgery seem to have no problem at all. I had the surgery and CaK-BLAM! Not only can I See the CaK – it is SO bright that I have to crank up the mag to keep from being completely dazzled! I checked what I see vs images captured thru the same scope and Yes Indeed – I see the same CaK detail that the camera does! But my favorite objects are galaxies. I was hoping the Nouveau Bleu would similarly improve my ability to see the spirals better. 1st look at M51 since the surgeries: Bright, obvious spiral right in my face – absolutely Wonderful! I can even stare straight at it and it’s super obvious…even “Looks Blue.” Further observations: Central hole on Ring M57 looks more “filled in” with that blue haze And the central star pops just fine, even under far from ideal conditions! Cat’s Eye looks like an extremely bright little spiralish thing with plenty of structure, galaxies in general are way more visible, Coma Cluster is now a magnificent treat with galaxies all over the place – 30 at a time in the field without even trying hard. I never have or expected to see the Pleiades nebl but am hopeful to maybe have a shot at it once it scoots around. Technical notes: My eye lenses were replaced with plastic ones that transmit UV. The surgeon also perforated the anterior and posterior capsule, eliminating that absorption and scatter. He also resculpted my corneas to bring my uncorrected vision to a good solid 20/15 (on the cusp of 20/10). The healthy human retina is capable of 20/7.5 if the cornea and lens are near perfect. Optometrist who originally diagnosed the cataracts telling comment: [If cost were no object, people would simply get the surgery around age 30 as a matter of course – the affect IS that dramatic and we have the technologies now to easily do it. It would just be like going to the dentist to have your teeth cleaned!] BTW the implants also are corrected for (natural!) spherical aberration of the eye! These Bionic Eyes are GREAT! Tom Dey

Attached Image:

Thomas Dey's attachment for post 59405

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos