Beginner scope for the grandkids

Started by wbcaspe, 08/28/2008 06:05PM
Posted 08/28/2008 06:05PM Opening Post
Hi: I want to buy my grandkids ( ages seven and ten )a beginner scope to get them into the hobby - it needs to be: easy to set up; have decent optics; be easy to align; and, require little maintenance. What do you folks suggest for under $500. Thanks, Bill
Posted 08/28/2008 10:48PM #1
I have 7 and 10 year old grandkids. We view together often. My advice may differ from the more technical minded, but it is based on my two examples.

Get them something they can see something with. I believe they will be more likely to use the scope if they can see more than the moon and a bright planet. I think 6 inches is minimal. 8 would be better. I know those are hard for them to move about, but likely the little one won't be setting up along. Also, if they see something they want to do, they will figure out ways to get it done. They will also learn to collimate and do things like that if they must. They will learn to find things in the sky if they are rewarded with a decent view. Most people, kids included, who aren't already into this stuff don't get all excited by a dim, averted vision view of a wisp.

A good way to get them using the scope is to set it up with them when you set up yours. Then you look through theirs too.

Mine love viewing. I haven't bought them one yet, but it will come in a year or two. i'm thinking of a 6 inch SCT on an alt-az mount.
Posted 09/07/2008 02:42PM #2
We probably should ask a few questions to better understand the kinds of Observing they will do:

1) Do they live in an urban, suburban, or rural setting?
2) How dark is their observing location?
3) If they are observing in the backyard, will they have to move the scope around the yard to avoid streetlight glare, trees, and other issues?
4) Will they be observing under consistent adult supervision?
5) Will they ever be using their telescopes for terrestrial observing (birdwatching, etc.)?
6) How much storage space is available to them?
7) How prone to rough-housing are they?

If they live in suburbia, I think I'd nudge them towards starting out primarily as lunatics with a decent refractor, binoculars, and books, software, or DVDs about the moon.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]