NGC 1499

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Cartes du Ciel questions

Started by BABOafrica, 08/29/2011 08:39AM
Posted 08/29/2011 08:39AM Opening Post
1. For some reason, Cartes du Ciel does not have any listing for M77. Have others experienced this also?

2. Does the Cartes du Ciel program give magnitudes for stars? I know there is feature called "object list" (which lists the mag of objects). But stars do not appear on that list.

3. In the Cartes du Ciel program, there is a notation in the upper left hand corner listing location / date / time (EAT) / Mag:6.5 / FOV: +45. I know how to adjust the FOV and several other features. How does one adjust the magnitude? I noticed that it changes automatically when clicking on the "less stars" icon, showing Mag:5.5, Mag:5.0, etc. But in the opposite direction, after reaching 6.5, it doesn't increase even though more stars appear on the screen after clicking the "more stars" icon.

Cleers,
Joe

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm
Posted 08/29/2011 09:56AM #1
Joe,
I have two versions of Cartes du Ciel loaded and I am able to search and locate M77 with both versions.
If you right click on the star in question, information about that particular star will pop up with the magnitude, type, proper motion, color index, and various other information. The information available will depend on the catalogs loaded and active at the time.
Part of how the program reacts depends on how the catalogs are set up. You will probably need to play around a bit but for a freebee I think it works pretty good.
Hope this helps at least a little bit.
Dale
Posted 09/05/2011 05:47AM #2
For anyone who's missed it, a new and even better version of CdC has been released! grin

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/