Rosette Nebula NGC 2238

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Celestron 9.25 w/cg5-gt

Started by datguy, 01/23/2010 06:23AM
Posted 01/23/2010 06:23AM Opening Post
Where do I begin? After reading what I could, I purchased the 9.25 advanced go to system. By purchasing the mount/tripod seperately from the ota I was able to get the entire package delivered new for under $1600.00. With that in mind I know I started well. Here is the kicker, I have set it up and now have more questions then when I began. I am taking an intro astronomy course here at the local univerity but all the intricasies of operating what is an absolutely beautiful piece equipment are not part of the ciriculum. I am a total noob, so, where do I begin?
Posted 01/23/2010 06:42AM #1
Join the club!

No, seriously, go join a club. There will be plenty of people to help you get that thing working.

THere are a number of lists of clubs available. Just Google ' "Astronomy Club" + [Hometown]' where you substitute your hometown in the brackets. Or post here where you live.

ALex
Posted 01/23/2010 06:50AM #2
eric hardy said:

I am a total noob, so, where do I begin?

As you've been told, step one is an astronomy club. Step two is the Yahoo Celestron AS group. The good folks there can help you get up and running in no time...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/celestron_as/

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 01/23/2010 09:25AM #3
Thanks guys. Good suggestions both. Happy to say Augusta (the one where they play golf) has a local club.
The tech spot on yahoo looks good too. I look forward to the other side of the learning curve.
Posted 02/07/2010 07:25AM #4
Eric, There is an astronomy club in Aiken, SC. Good luck! Paul
eric hardy said:

Where do I begin? After reading what I could, I purchased the 9.25 advanced go to system. By purchasing the mount/tripod seperately from the ota I was able to get the entire package delivered new for under $1600.00. With that in mind I know I started well. Here is the kicker, I have set it up and now have more questions then when I began. I am taking an intro astronomy course here at the local univerity but all the intricasies of operating what is an absolutely beautiful piece equipment are not part of the ciriculum. I am a total noob, so, where do I begin?