Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Trapezium via Siebert 36mm Observatory Series Eyepiece projection

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Celestron Firstscope C102 AZ, Eyepieces?

Started by joepm1, 03/25/2005 01:47PM
Posted 03/25/2005 01:47PM Opening Post
Hello Everyone,
I just purchased a new Celestron Firstscope C102 AZ Refractor which is actually my first telescope. Being new to the hobby I am wondering what eyepieces should I be looking for. Also, I already have a Meade #124 2X Barlow. I am considering looking for a used Televue 5X Powermate but someone suggested that to save money I could buy a Televue 3X Barlow and stack it with the Meade that I already have as an alternative to the Powermate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Joe Milanese
Northwestern CT.
Posted 03/25/2005 09:06PM #1
Decent moderately plossls like Orion's Sirius or the Meade 4000 will work very well if you're on a tight budget, but high end Plossls (Televue, or the Ultima/Ultrascopic plossl-like eyepeices) are worth the little bit extra. University Optics Orthoscopics are excellent values if you don't mind the slightly smaller apparent field of view.

If you have a big budget...well, the sky's the limit, and you'll probably want to start with a good basic set of eyepieces and learning about observing a little more before investing in the big-money oculars.

I don't have experience stacking barlows...I don't know how well it works in practice. You might find that the 3x Televue Barlow is all you ever need; with a 10mm eyepiece and 3x barlow you'll get 150x, which is a pretty good high power for this scope, I'd think. The powermates are very nice, to be sure, but the 3x Televue Barlow will do nicely.