Do binoculars EVER die?

Started by gnowell, 04/04/2009 01:11PM
Posted 04/04/2009 01:11PM Opening Post
I can't help but marvel that the binocular market contains dozens of contemporary manufacturers as well as used equipment going back to WWI.

Are binoculars forever? Do they EVER die?

Greg N

"Scope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no scope." --Freewheelin' Franklin
Posted 04/04/2009 02:38PM #1
I think you'd find a marked improvement comparing modern binoculars with those from the WWII era.

The one thing I really appreciate in modern binoculars is good eye relief. I loved my old circa 1977 B&L 9x36s, but they had no eye relief. Once I gave up contacts I decided I needed something with enough eye relief to use with my glasses on.

Clear skies, Alan
Posted 04/06/2009 10:43PM #2
Yes. I have seen several binoculars die in the following circumstances:
1) When your little brother drops them on the observation deck of the Eiffel Tower. (Note: on not from).
2) When you make a heavy-handed attempt to "fix" or "clean" them. You do not need to destroy the binoculars in order to save them.
3) When they sit in the glove compartment for a year and lose collimation.

However, when you forget to use the neck strap and let your Steiner Predators bounce off your belly and fall into gravel, they do not die. Instead, they merely laugh, say they are armored, and taunt you to try it again. 8)

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]