Need Help?

. Dobson 8 or 10 " Meade or SkyWatcher

Started by Astro_Formidable, 06/09/2009 06:30PM
Posted 06/09/2009 06:30PM Opening Post
witch one would be the best ???

A used SkyWatcher 10" dobson SW880 for 500$us

or

Brand new Meade 8" dobson lightbridge deluxe for 500$US

What you think ?? witch would you buy.. witch is the best ??? i dont care about the place it take ... both come with no ep no nothing...

Why would you tak the one you say ???

Ty all for help

Attached Image:

Astro_Formidable's attachment for post 47138
Posted 06/10/2009 08:27AM #1
What you think ?? witch would you buy.. witch is the best ??? i dont care about the place it take ... both come with no ep no nothing...

Why would you tak the one you say ???

Ty all for help

Bruno: Both are good scopes and there are advantages to each.

The 8 inch is a bit lighter, makes a more compact package for transporting it, has a more forgiving F/6 focal ratio which means easier collimation, less coma, and less astigmatism with simple eyepieces. F/6 is a nice place for a Newtonian.

The 10 inch is a heavier but still easily transported in most cars and has that addition 56% light gather and superior resolution... the difference is definitely noticeable but not dramatic.

My collection includes a variety of scopes ranging from 60mm to 16 inches and I have owned several 8 inch dobs, nice scopes but I also have a 10 inch F/5 Asian DOB that seems to be the optimal "grab and go" DOB. With the 10 inch around, the 8 inchers just never got used. I figure that 10 incher will be with me forever. So that would be my choice. Big enough to do some real damage to the night sky, but not so big it damages your back and not so big it won't fit in your car.

Jon
Posted 06/10/2009 09:03AM #2
Jon has it right (not surprisingly). They are both good scopes, so you won't really go wrong.

A lot depends on how you will use it:
If it's opemn the garage door and carry it out 20 feet, I would go for the 10" on the appeture rules theory.

If it's carry it down two flights of stairs from your apt., put it in the VW bug, along with you wife and 8 year-old, drive 20 miles and move the whole thing 150 yards to the observing sight, I would definitely go with the more collapsible 8" truss.

If the 10 inch is within a reasonable drive, see how it fits in your car, and follow the theory for shoes.

Note that I have said almost nothing about the scope, and a lot (okay--too much) about where and how you observe, or image you will observe.