M8 & M20 Wide Field

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

finder scope

Started by BABOafrica, 05/17/2011 07:40AM
Posted 05/17/2011 07:40AM Opening Post
I am beginning to wonder if people actually use a finder scope on a 10" dob. I have one on mine (home made).

But I noticed, when asking about the eyepieces, that some responded by saying they use a low power EP to find objects.

Any opinions on this?

Clear skies dusk to dawn,
Joe

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm
Posted 05/17/2011 08:03AM | Edited 05/17/2011 09:13AM #1
Joseph Babendreier said:

I am beginning to wonder if people actually use a finder scope on a 10" dob. I have one on mine (home made).

But I noticed, when asking about the eyepieces, that some responded by saying they use a low power EP to find objects.

Any opinions on this?

Clear skies dusk to dawn,
Joe

I don't know of anyone who doesn't use a finder scope on any size dob, whether it be a reflex finder or a powered finder. A lot of folks prefer to use both. A reflex finder gets you close, then a powered finder gets you closer. I prefer a Telrad myself, but there are others.

Using a low-power eyepiece in the focuser rather than a finder to find objects would be very difficult. Basically, you use your finder scope to get you as close as possible to your target, then use a low power eyepiece to center the object in the focuser, then change eyepieces to add whatever magnifcation that you want.

Hope this is helpful Joseph.

Oklahoma State University--The University of Oklahoma!--GO POKES!! GO STATE!!
Posted 05/17/2011 09:23AM #2
An awful lot of people use a red-dot (or Telrad) to get close, and then a wide field low power to sweep the area. In light polluted conditions, a magnified finder helps.

Alex
Posted 05/17/2011 12:49PM #3
I take my 8" dob so rarely these days that my street cred is pretty low, but I've always used a 10x straight finder. Was never a reflex guy, I use the both-eyes-open method to get it close, then close the non-eyepiece eye when I'm in the neighborhood. The field and power of the finder is also similar to my 10x binos which I use to plan out or supplement my star hopping.

Rick