New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

FIRST LIGHT!!

Started by RoDnSuE, 12/30/2004 06:42PM
Posted 12/30/2004 06:42PM Opening Post
Hi all,
All smiles here smile smile
I managed to find an Orion Starmax 90mm mak with an EQ1 mount that I could afford and just took it out for 1st light!!
Would you believe it? The first point of light that caught my eye that I decided to look at was Saturn! I was using a 25mm lens and the scope was not at temperature but WOW! I couldn't quite make out the Cassini division but just to make out the planet and rings was awesome! Excuse my enthusiasm but I just had to share.
Think I will go read the book now 8)

James
Posted 12/30/2004 07:49PM #1
Congratulations! Now if your weather will stay nice and clear tonight, wait until you look at Saturn when it has climbed higher and your scope has adjusted to the temps! You might get lost in the beauty.

Customized Zhumell Z12 on Dedicated Atomic EQ Platform
Customized Hybrid Z12/Lightbridge on Baltic Birch Planisphere Mount

(I'm holding famous Martian meteorite ALH84001 in the picture.)
Posted 12/30/2004 08:50PM #2
Excellent choice for first target! smile

Everyone remembers their first look at Saturn. I remember being amazed, though it was 1980 and one of the worst views of the rings a first-timer could have seen (nearly edge-on, in other words Saturn looked like a white dot with a white line through it) -- but somehow seeing the rings in 'real life' for the first time, instead of just in pictures, does something to you.
Posted 12/30/2004 09:34PM #3
You're on your way now.