G11 - CGE comparisons

Started by arkansas_firefighter, 05/16/2005 03:43PM
Posted 05/16/2005 03:43PM Opening Post
Anybody here tried both the Celestron CGE and Losmandy G11 mounts that could give any info on their differences and performance as well as quality impressions ?? Thanks.
Posted 05/16/2005 04:39PM #1
I've owned both the G-11 and the CGE predecessor the CI-700. The fit and finish on the G-11 is nicer, but out of the box the CI-700 was a better tracking mount (about even if you upgrades the worm gears on the G-11), and came with a few standard items that are extra's on the g-11 (polar scope for one). Overall both mounts capacity was about the same and really people nit-pick on both sides pointing out the strengths and weaknesses. Neither IMO are clear winners over the other. Because the CI-700 with advanced astromaster can be had for less then a GM-8 - let alone a G-11, I sold the G-11 and kept the CI-700.

As for the CGE - it is a fully integrated "GOTO" mount, and the g-11 is not (need to add the Gemini system). Both have specs that are similar weight capacity and design. I have heard the CGE out of the box tracks better, but the fit and finish still go to Losmandy.