Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Cygnus Star Cloud

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Goals Accomplished... Now all it does is rain.

Started by pearsennui, 05/06/2016 08:41AM
Posted 05/06/2016 08:41AM Opening Post
Since the End of 2015, I was given the advice of setting goals for 2016. Thus far I have had very limited time to think about anything too lofty, but I was able to get my University Superfinder in a good position for my 8 inch 2080 meade SCT. I have probably taken it out twice this year, which is a little depressing. However, I came by a nice 127mm Astrozap refractor and have taken it for a spin around 5 times and have been pleasantly surprised with what I have seen. Since it has a long focal length, 1200mm f/9, It gives a nice wide view for my 2" EPs and I can hit some decent magnifications with 1.25"s on good seeing evenings. (Of course the SCT is better for the magnifications without color aberration.)

I upgraded some of my 1.25" eyepieces and found that I can see why Tele Vue is highly regarded when you have a decent telescope to look through. I am in wait for testing out a few eyepieces as it has been cloudy and rainy in Pittsburgh for the last month... I have a 6.7mm ES 82 degree, Tele Vue 6mm Delos and an Antares SW 8.5-12mm zoom. I have high expectations for the Zoom and Delos but quite low ones for the ES. We'll see though.

I also came by the 2.1*40 Vixen Bins for constellation viewing per advice on learning the constellations. I have been really struggling with them and find them a little disorienting, so my goal with those are to adjust and then start running through constellations. I got the Bins because I live pretty close to downtown Pittsburgh and there is a lot of light pollution and in the least, a few more stars are visible than without them.

Other than that, I think this is the best I have viewed Jupiter thus far and I finally viewed Mercury as the sun was setting. Other than that, it has been a rainy first half of the year. Here is to hope that it clears up this summer.

Clear Skies,

Matt
Posted 05/06/2016 11:14AM #1
http://www.skyshedpodpa.com/about.html