Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Meade vs Galileo 114mm

Started by sdshasta, 05/06/2005 04:01AM
Posted 05/06/2005 04:01AM Opening Post
As a newbie, I need some advice from more experienced minds. I just received my Meade 114EQ-DH4 (900mm x 114mm) today. I already had a Galileo 900mm x 114mm. I am trying to decide which optical tube is the better of the two, because one has to go this weekend.
I'm hopefully going to create a decent hybrid using parts of each model. I bought both used in good condition. I like the Meade mount with the Go-To feature, and the Galileo Red-Dot finder.
I had planned to do a side-by-side comparison tonight, but the clouds are not cooperating. My community is having it's annual rummage sale this weekend & I don't know which OTA to keep.
I'd appreciate any advice or input you could provide regarding which OTA is the better choice based on quality, functionality, and durability.
Thank you!
Charlotte :S
Posted 05/06/2005 08:03PM #1
I know you want to sell one or the other but my though is that you should wait until after you compare the scopes side by side. It would be a shame to get rid of the wrong scope. You could wait until you compared them, then figure out the scope you like better, I am not even sure it will come down to optics, it might be that you like one focuser better or the scope might be just a touch better at looking at the planets. Who knows, but I would wait.

Real men play Golf