Bubble Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Polaris B (double star)

Started by ggalilei, 09/25/2012 12:24PM
Posted 09/25/2012 12:24PM Opening Post
Polaris B is always a target every night I'm out there observing. I was disappointed that I could rarely see it with my Vixen 80ED. In the past few nights I have been able to see it with the WO66 and AT66 even with a bit of Moon out. I think that the difference is in the magnification ..... I was trying "too hard" before. It actually seems to be easiest around 40x - 50x. If you haven't tried it yet, take a look, it's a pretty pair with the companion being so dim.
Posted 09/29/2012 10:35PM #1
Antonino, Years ago, using a TeleVue Ranger(70mm), I made a number of observations of Polaris with various apertures and magnifications to see how easily seen the companion was. If I can find my notes I'll post them. You might try it and see what results you get.

Darian R.
Posted 10/21/2012 08:59AM #2
I have seen the companion many times with my Vixen 60 mm f/11.7 at 60X. It is usually easy with my Vixen 80 mm f/11.4 at 51X.
Posted 10/25/2012 05:34AM #3
I do nearly all my observing from my yard. Most of the year a bunch of trees in my back yard screen the North Star from my view. But it's visible in winter and I have made a few observations with a 4" refractor a while back. It was a nice split at about 110X, the companion showing a soft bluish tint. I'll have to try it with my 5" refractor....

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC, USA

"I hear you're mechanically inclined. Did you ever do anything with perpetual motion?"

"Yeah, I nearly had it a couple of times."