My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: "Go to a star party" is regional advice

Started by wisemanrs, 07/31/2006 04:25PM
Posted 07/31/2006 04:25PM Opening Post
Greg,

I have observed a couple of trends in society that you touched on in your long letter.

First, participation in all adult club-type activities has dropped greatly in the past 25 years or so. Bowling leagues, service clubs like Lions or Kiwanis, fraternal organizations like Knights of Columbus or Eagles, etc, etc. What are we all doing with our time?

Second, school rules. If your kids want to be active in anything, they MUST commit a lot of time to it. If you want to play on the basketball team, not only do you have practices and games during the season, you have to go to basketball camps in the summer and weightlifting training at school all offseason. Mom and dad's activities must be scheduled around the school activities.

I don't know if these trends are good or bad or shouldn't be occurring, I just know that they exist.

So, when will dad go out to a star party, when he won't even go to his lodge meetings anymore? And when do the kids have time to go out to a star party, when they are overbooked with other school-sponsored activities?

Regards,
Rick

8" Zhumell Dob
90mm f11 achro refractor
4-1/2 f4 rich field newt reflector
Posted 08/01/2006 04:16PM | Edited 08/01/2006 04:16PM #1
Greg,

My 4.5" is an old kit scope I built in the 1970s. I built a little Dobsonian mount for it two years ago, and also take it out of that and sit with it on my lap and scan the Milky Way. I've seen the North American nebula with it.

I bought the kit for $25 from . . . from . . . I forget. Help me out guys, an optical company in Idyllwild, California. Coulter?

Rick

8" Zhumell Dob
90mm f11 achro refractor
4-1/2 f4 rich field newt reflector