Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

real time imaging

Started by gk, 11/13/2004 04:13AM
Posted 11/13/2004 04:13AM Opening Post
I need some advice on how to real time image on a T.V. monitor set up next to my scope. I was wondering if there is a way of using a Toucam or other such device hooked up to my MN56 and view the image through a television. Can this be done and if so, what hardware would be needed to link the webcam (using a USB interface to the RCA or Coax cable? After all, it is a camera right? Should it not be a cheap fix for a much more sensitive eyepiece?
Thanks -GK-
Posted 11/13/2004 12:57PM #1

I don't know what you are planning on looking at but unless you have some sort of integrating camera like the SBig STV, you will only be able to see the planets and brighter stars.

As for the planets, webcams have low resolution but gain their nice planetary views by combining many hundreds of images.

In real time, the human eye is pretty tough to beat....

jon
Posted 11/13/2004 05:56PM #2
For observing the moon, the electronic eyepieces offered by Orion and Meade are fine. In fact, I get superlative views of lunar landscapes from the Orion black & white one (which retails for about $70) hooked to an old 3.5-inch Questar. For deep-sky objects, and even for decent views of bright planets, your answer will have to come from someone other than myself.

NexStar 8i SCT, Orion 80ED APO refractor, Orion 120 mm EQ refractor, 3.5-inch Questar