Trapezium via Siebert 36mm Observatory Series Eyepiece projection

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Storage ideas

Started by jerelmcdonald, 06/14/2005 12:12PM
Posted 06/14/2005 12:12PM Opening Post
I have a new 10" newtonian, approximately 4 ft. long (Yay) and an EQ mount with tripod. I'm trying to figure out ideas for storage - mainly to keep away from the prying fingers of young children who live in my house -- my son 3-1/2 and daughter 1-1/2. smile

I'm thinking a large wooden trunk with padding and a padlock to keep my eq mount and OTA safe.

I'd love to hear other clever solutions to this problem.
Posted 06/14/2005 12:45PM #1
I have a new 10" newtonian, approximately 4 ft. long (Yay) and an EQ mount with tripod. I'm trying to figure out ideas for storage - mainly to keep away from the prying fingers of young children who live in my house -- my son 3-1/2 and daughter 1-1/2.

I'm thinking a large wooden trunk with padding and a padlock to keep my eq mount and OTA safe.
--------

Maybe you can clarify something for me.

Which are you planning on locking in the trunk, the telescope or the children??? grin

(Too good a chance to miss)

As far as a real solution, I can't help except to say you are on the right track, putting the scope in a secure place....

jon
Posted 06/16/2005 07:46PM #2
For the ota you could hang it from the ceiling. As for the mount i dont think the kids could hurt it.
Posted 06/16/2005 08:34PM #3
I built a "cradle" that I put on the top shelf of a walk in closet. The scope lays horizontal. The ends of the cradle are pieces of scrap 2x12 on end with a profile to match the OD of the OTA. This profile is lined with self adhesive felt from the hardware store. I also added some rubber feet - stick on ones right next to the felt in the hardware store. The ends are kept upright and spaced with 3 foot long 1/4" diameter dowels.

Ed