Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Warning on getting parts for a used Orion Telescop

Started by Julie46825, 01/28/2009 04:13AM
Posted 01/28/2009 04:13AM Opening Post
I purchased a used Orion telescope and contacted Orion about ordering a replacement rubber foot for a Skyview Pro mount. I did not buy the Telescope from Orion but from a individual. I received the following reply from Orion. I am posting this to warn others.

The replacement parts that we keep in stock are typically used for warranty repairs and not for sale separately. If we had the part on the shelf and the customer purchased from us directly or through one of our authorized dealers and the product was out-of-warranty, then we would come up with a nominal price and sell it to them. Given the number of skus that we have and the number of parts that make up those skus, we can’t afford to maintain large quantities of all parts. Hence, the restrictive nature of the program and the reason we exclude products sold in the secondary market. I know this was not what you wanted to hear, but I thought I would try and explain why the folks you talked to previously had not been able to fulfill your request. :C
Posted 01/28/2009 04:21PM | Edited 01/28/2009 05:23PM #1
Julie Kaufman said:

I purchased a used Orion telescope and contacted Orion about ordering a replacement rubber foot for a Skyview Pro mount. I did not buy the Telescope from Orion but from a individual. I received the following reply from Orion. I am posting this to warn others.

The replacement parts that we keep in stock are typically used for warranty repairs and not for sale separately. If we had the part on the shelf and the customer purchased from us directly or through one of our authorized dealers and the product was out-of-warranty, then we would come up with a nominal price and sell it to them. Given the number of skus that we have and the number of parts that make up those skus, we can’t afford to maintain large quantities of all parts. Hence, the restrictive nature of the program and the reason we exclude products sold in the secondary market. I know this was not what you wanted to hear, but I thought I would try and explain why the folks you talked to previously had not been able to fulfill your request. :C

Was this an Orion mount? If it were a SkyWatcher or other variant, I could see them not wanting to support it. If it's an Orion they ought to. A RUBBER FOOTSIE, for god's sake. This goober could just have thrown one in an envelope and shipped it to you no charge. That's what I would have done, dammit.

:C

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 01/28/2009 09:28PM | Edited 01/28/2009 09:29PM #2
Julie,

What kind of business is this anyway? In most industries, the original equipment manufacturer (they even have an abbreviation: O.E.M.) makes additional profit selling spare parts for the assembled products they make. They don't care where you bought the product from. Secondary businesses often spring up that make a living selling spare parts.

I realize selling a single rubber foot is not going to make anyone a living, but selling a bunch of little parts will. An O.E.M. has to sell (or even give away!) the little pieces as well as have a supply of the costlier, more profitable ones. If they don't, it is bad management, their reputation suffers, and sales of the original assembled product goes away. This is obvious and simply how customers will act.

Rick

8" Zhumell Dob
90mm f11 achro refractor
4-1/2 f4 rich field newt reflector
Posted 04/08/2009 11:32PM #3
A couple recent purchases made me think about this thread and I thought I'd relay my experience to the group. I recently purchased a pre-owned Celestron C6 newt. It's a great sample but the rack and pinion gear on the sliding focuser have a couple of worn spots that makes focusing a little jinky on colder nights. The scope was actually manufactured by Vixen so I skipped Celestron and e-mailed Vixen's support dept to find out if a new rack and pinion was available for purchase. I had this thread in mind as I clicked the send button and wasn't very hopeful. Later that day Mike from Vixen e-mailed me back and informed me that the parts we indeed available. I was ecstatic that the part could be purchases at all. The kicker is that the parts are coming directly from Japan and the price was more reasonable than I could have imagined. Needless to say, barring a complete collapse, Vixen has earned a customer for life.

Jay
Posted 04/09/2009 04:36PM #4
There are rubber feet for furniture at Lowe's and Home depot. You gotta think like a dob guy. Maybe put a big wad of RTV glue in a paper cup, let it set around the tripod leg. Experiment till something works. Duct tape a metal rod to the leg.

Other options include buying a REAL tripod or alternatively buying a used tripod here on astromart. They're around and don't cost much.

Also what happens if you just take the other two rubber footsies off? Take those off and put the lot of them on three Celestron vibration dampening pads for $40. Be careful not to leave the pads behind when you pack up that's real easy to do.

regards
greg N

"Scope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no scope." --Freewheelin' Franklin
Posted 04/09/2009 04:37PM #5
Yeah well there's another thing. Next time you write: I received this item as a gift and I need the following part... and attach a picture. Don't go no "I bought it used" nonsense. Greg N

"Scope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no scope." --Freewheelin' Franklin