Trapezium via Siebert 36mm Observatory Series Eyepiece projection

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Where to go next?

Started by Zingo, 06/21/2005 06:17AM
Posted 06/21/2005 06:17AM Opening Post
Hi, I am new to astronomy and have purchased a 6" Newtonian Telescope for a very low price. I would like to use it to view the planets and any deep space objects I can, but am so new that I don't know where to start or how to move forward. The telescope came with a great aluminum tripod and the following eyepieces; 6.5mm and 25mm plossl, 1.5 erecting eyepiece, 2x barlow, solar and moon filters. I would like to buy additional eyepieces to make my viewing more enjoyable but dont know what to look for. All eyepieces are 1.25". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted 06/21/2005 06:27AM #1
Go visit a club. Hang around with them. YOu will learn soon enough.

If your solar filter is one that fits in the eyepiece, throw it away. You do not want to concentrate that much sunlight on a small piece of glass. If it breaks you could be blinded.

Learn how to collimate your finder scope if you have one, and if you don't, get a Telrad, Quickfinder, or equivalent and learn how to use it.

Get a nice star chart, like Rigel's or Will Tirion's Bright Star Atlas, or Norton's 2000, and/or Star Hopping for Backyard Astronomers, and/or Turn Left at Orion.

I'd say learn how to collimate, but don't do that until you join a club. It sounds a whole lot more complicated than it is.

But mostly join a club.

ALex
Posted 06/21/2005 04:14PM #2
Hi Paul:

You have already been given a lot of wonderful advice. I will add that a nice pair of binoculars is a must for the beginner. It gives you the opportunity to explore wide field views of the sky with minimal preparation. It also helps you get oriented by the time you look thru the Telrad (or equivalent) and the finderscope. My advice is a pair of 9x63 or 10x50 binoculars. The Celestron and Orion brands are a good place to start. Avoid the temptation of getting hign magnification binoculars right away (12x or higher). Those require to be mounted on a tripod to optimize their utility.

Rey Cordero
Berkeley, CA