My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Wide Field Astrophotography - Starting out on a bu

Started by mbrant, 08/23/2005 08:00PM
Posted 08/23/2005 08:00PM Opening Post
Hi,

I just discovered this website and I think it is great.

I recently took my first step into astrophotography during the meteor shower. I used my Canon EOS20D with a Tamron 28-300 zoom lens (at its widest setting) on a tripod with a cable release. I set the ISO to 1600, opened up the aperture all the way, set the focus to infinite, and tried various speed settings.

I was somewhat pleased with the results (they looked like stars, but I was frustrated that I couldn't use an exposure over 30 seconds without the stars turning into grains of rice. Which brings me to the point of this message.

I would like to break through the '30 second barrier' but have some significant constraints to work through:

1) My budget for this is limited - Until I can be sure that this is something I want to, and will have the opportunity to pursue (I live in the suburbs of NYC) I don't want to spend big $. I can go a few hundred (give or take) now.

2) I'm not very handy - I'm afraid the barn-door, do-it-yourself plans aren't for me.

3) I'd love something easy to set up and use.

Is there anything out there that meets these criteria or am I dreaming the impossible dream?

Your patience and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike

ps: I did capture one shooting star! Low success percentage but satisfying non-the-less.
Posted 08/23/2005 11:07PM | Edited 08/23/2005 11:08PM #1
At 28 mm, things are very forgiving. On the other hand, you will not get much more than very wide field views at 28 mm.

There are two different 30 second limitations you need to think about. One is the tracking issue. You will need a driven mount. Almost any will do at 28 mm. But be prepared to go to a very good mount (costing in the 800-1000 dollar range at least) if you plan to use the 300 mm end of the zoom. And if you go any longer, and want good results, you will need to go to a mount costing even more than that.

The other 30 second limitation you have to think about is the one that says the 20D's top exposure time is only 30 seconds. So, you need something that will run it on bulb. Your two choices are the two canon remote controls. (You cannot handhold the shutter button, because you will shake the camera.)

Of course, you could do a lot with star trails.

ALex