Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Workshop Series

Started by Alex McConahay, 02/24/2005 04:37PM
Posted 02/24/2005 04:37PM Opening Post
I've been asked to organize a series of presentations to help Astro-Beginners. Let's say about ten 45 minute presentations.

What, as a beginner, do you want to be told about? What topics would you want covered. What is most mystifying?

You who are not beginners should pitch in here and make suggestions also. What do you get asked most? What do you wish you would have known?

Alex
Posted 02/24/2005 04:49PM #1
I thought you would never ask!
Being the rediculous newbie, I needed people to explain the magnification factor to me and why the theroretical limit is the way it is (use pictures). An explanation of RA and DEC is very useful. Explain collimation and why its useful (and how to do it).
Explain the F-ratio and what it means. The points of having a fast scope over a slow scope and visa versa.
Put all things in terms of seeing objects ( why you can see some objects but not others)
Talk about why they can't see colors, and what it takes to SEE the colors.

Assuming that these people know nothign, I would also go over points of the 3 scopes and thier plusses and minuses keeping in mind size, cost, and what they can see with them ( to this day I am unsure why a 4" achromatic refractor can beat my 8" SCT. I thought apperature was nearly everything)

Making references to the planets,moon, and more famous nebula will keep them interested. Now, dont get me wrong, I love a good planeterium show, but the canter always seems to go into a lot of depth about the constellations and some of thier history, and it never fails to almost put me to sleep. I think that too much of the constellation talk is a bit of a distractor (but then again, thats my opinion)

My $0.02, workin up to $1.00...
-Ben
Posted 02/24/2005 06:08PM #2
Alex: Your post and Ben Kokes' response lead me to make this suggestion: Draw a distinction between (a) beginners who seek information about astronomy and the objects and phenomena they can observe with their telescopes, and (b) beginners who seek guidance regarding telescopes, their accessories and their uses. As one who has studied astronomy as a hobby for many decades, I don't consider myself a "beginner," but I only took up observing a couple of years ago and I could always use more information about the hardware. By the way, I commend you on your workshop project. Good luck with it.

NexStar 8i SCT, Orion 80ED APO refractor, Orion 120 mm EQ refractor, 3.5-inch Questar
Posted 02/25/2005 12:18AM #3
>>>You who are not beginners should pitch in here and make suggestions also. What do you get asked most? What do you wish you would have known?

Alex
------

My thinking:

The most important thing: Get out and just enjoy viewing the night sky with or without a telescope.

It is easy to get caught up dealing with the equipment and finding this target and knowing this trick and that technique, they all help but I strongly believe the most important factor in enjoying astronomy is the ability to just put all that stuff aside and just have some fun.

jon
Posted 02/25/2005 03:28PM #4
Hi all,

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions--and those of you who have not applied, pitch in what you can.

A couple of individual comments:

I did not realize the depth of the need. Several of you are expressing real gratitude for someone even asking. I say to you--don't get desperate. Listen to the fellows who spoke of just sitting out under the stars. If the telescope does not work just as you thought it might, you are still outdoors under the great dark. This is not a competitive sport, its just a hobby where we are out having fun. Sometimes experience comes only with, well, experience.

Kathy, I think it was, said she wanted to move nearby so she could call me regularly and get help with the observing--Well Kathy, if you live in Southern California, you can. If you don't, just remember, there are lots of other somebody just like me, or even better probably, in your local astronomy club. Just do a search at the Sky and Tel website for local astro clubs. (Where are you anyway?) ANd you always have astromart and your sounding board here.

And Backyard Astronomer's Guide idea is brilliant. You are right. That is one of my favorite books, and a great way to organize what there is to know.

Thanks all, and keep your ideas coming.

Alex