New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

9P Tempel 1 photo & Nasa's Deep Impact Mission

Started by John Chumack, 01/16/2005 05:12PM
Posted 01/16/2005 05:12PM Opening Post
Hi All,

As part of the Nasa's Deep Impact Mission,
I'm on their STSP or Small Telescope Science Program in collaboration with the University of Maryland & JPL, I will be providing them comet images along with astrometric/photometric data for monitoring 9P's coma & dust production.

We will be monitoring this comet right through scheduled impact on the 4th of July 2005.

Its currently about 17.8 magnitude, but will brighten to about 10.5 magnitude by next July, at which time the Deep Impact Probe will smack right into the comet, they expect a brightness increase of about 5 magnitudes, bringing the comet to about 5th magnitude in a matter of seconds to minutes.

for more details on Deep Imapct go to: http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov/

My image of Comet 9P/Tempel 1 is below...............stay tuned!

Best Regards,
John Chumack
The Chumack Observatories
MPC#838 Dayton Research Station
www.galacticimages.com

Attached Image:

John Chumack's attachment for post 21553
Posted 01/18/2005 11:01AM | Edited 01/18/2005 04:32PM #1
John, This is one of my favorite NASA missions. One it will allow as amateurs a chance to watch the event happen. I am already starting to organize an impact party. The second thing is my name is on the CD aboard the impact probe. It is really not that big of a thing for NASA to do but to me it is really cool that my name is aboard a spacecraft on its way to impact a comet. I feel like I am, in a small way, part of the mission. Vince