Gray Jay

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Comet Holmes - First Impressions

Started by flusk, 11/04/2007 01:16AM
Posted 11/04/2007 01:16AM Opening Post
For the first time since Comet Holmes brightened, my schedule and the weather synchronized. From Fresno, CA, with our normal light pollution exaggerated by high humidity (the outlying areas will have fog tomorrow), I was able to spot the comet unaided without my glasses. In my 15x70s, the comet was incredibly large and bright. A quick scan of M31 for comparison proved no comparison. M31 was wimpy smile

Then, about 11:00 p.m., my wife and I set up her Orion 10" dob. We used a 40 mm TMB Paragon and 25 mm and 10 mm Plossls. WOW at all magnifications. A bright nucleus surrounded by a nearly circular disk of grey. One side seemed to have a sharper edge than the other. With the 10 mm we could easily see several stars poking through the grey disk. My wife siad it looked like the top of an old fashioned light bulb.

We also spent a few minutes looking at M45 in the 40 mm eyepiece and Mars with the 10 mm, but the comet was the real show stopper. If I have time tomorrow, I will try my luck with my scope and camera.

Fred
Posted 11/04/2007 02:08PM #1
Andy…

That looks like the same comet I saw!!! smile

Fred