The Iris

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Four comets imaged November 8 2013.

Started by hbastro, 11/09/2013 04:00PM
Posted 11/09/2013 04:00PM Opening Post
Several of the comets are getting more difficult to image as they move easterly and approach the horizon where they are immersed in Zodiacal light and twilight.

I inserted a corresponding AllSky image in each comet image. Within each Allsky image is a small circle marking the rough location of the comet during the exposure. I also annotated each comet image with Sky quality readings. Interestingly there were high clouds making the sky slightly brighter during the Lovejoy image than the ISON image, this is evident in both the Allsky image and the SQM readings.

Image scale is preserved but the screen stretch is not.

Attached Image:

hbastro's attachment for post 57936
Posted 11/10/2013 11:09AM #1
Very nice, thanks for sharing. grin

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 11/11/2013 11:01PM #2

Nice photos, Dave! Thanks for sharing.
I've been viewing Lovejoy the past few nights through my TV-102. I'm using the Beehive - M44 - as my visual signpost, and it's pretty easy to spot as it moves toward the head of Leo. Pops right out in my 26mm Nagler (34x), and appears as a diffuse, round coma with a bright core. This is as seen from the comfort of my loft, through a dual-pane window. ;^) Yeah, I know... I'll get my old wimpy butt out there in the cold one of these nights!
I was getting frustrated hunting for Ison, but then read about the other comets currently viewable. Nice to see Lovejoy... first comet I've seen since Pan-Starrs, which was a naked-eye object from my front yard. Still hoping Ison gets that bright soon!
Linton

Posted 11/16/2013 02:46AM #3
Thank you for posting! Superb smile smile