IC410 Tadpole Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Aurora from 30* north

Started by cdculbertson, 10/29/2003 06:09PM
Posted 10/29/2003 06:09PM Opening Post
Hmmm, should I post this here, or in the Solar System Forum? What the hey, here it is...

Well, I was out for some lunar observing this evening when I decided to take a break and look for some open clusters in Cassiopeia and Perseus. Turned around and lo and behold the whole sky from N/NW to N/NE was a vivid red to reddish orange. The intensity varied from quite dim to very bright. No curtains or streamers like some of you northern guys get, and no color other than the red/orange, but it was cool just seeing it this far south.

The area that it was visible stretched from about 25 degrees west of Polaris, over to just shy of the Pleiades, and up through Perseus to about 65 degrees.

This is the third time that I have seen an auroral display from down here, and it never ceases to amaze me.

Doug
Midway, FL
Posted 10/30/2003 04:31AM #1
That must have been neat, Doug! I was out last evening myself and no luck from 28.8* lat. Several other members of our club were out as well and no reports of success yet.

Walt
Posted 10/30/2003 05:17AM #2
Hi Doug, here at 54N we are no strangers to aurora but last nights display is the best I've ever seen. I banged off a couple of shots with the digicam which hardley do it justice. I managed to get a few of the blue curtains as they crossed castor in the twins. There were lovely green curtains over the plough for much of the night.

Cheers, Eddie.

Attached Image:

EdC's attachment for post 72639
Posted 10/30/2003 09:07AM #3
I am so jealous, I went out numerous times over the last few nights hoping for a glimpse of the aurora. I am at 40* and no luck yet. It didn't help that we had a storm blow in yesterday and we had a cloud cover last night.

Congradulations on getting see them so far south.

Vel
Posted 10/30/2003 04:25PM #4
I managed a couple of short exposure pictures on my digital camera (hand held) this evening. These are from Harpers Ferry, WV. The colors were brilliant.

Attached Image:

gmanzero's attachment for post 72674
Posted 10/30/2003 04:26PM #5
and here is another...

Attached Image:

gmanzero's attachment for post 72675
Posted 10/30/2003 05:12PM #6
Here is a digicam shot from Vermont. This aurora is certainly the best I have seen so far. The image does not do it justice.

Frank

Attached Image:

frankg's attachment for post 72677