Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Milky Way from North Carolina

Started by ivanong, 08/09/2003 02:23AM
Posted 08/09/2003 02:23AM Opening Post
Folks, here's a photo I took from Doughton Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. I used a Bronica 6cmx4.5cm medium format camera mounted on a Vixen GP-DX. I used Provia 400F with my 75mm lens at f2.8 for 10 min. Even in this dark site the light pollution of nearby North Wilksboro smears the lower part of the photo. The view is the tail of Scopius and Sagittarius. By the way, it's been more than 3 weeks since I've seen a bloody star! I think it has something to do with the gravititional interaction of Mars with Earth's clouds.

Here's Hoping for Clear Skies, Ivan

Attached Image:

ivanong's attachment for post 8213
Posted 08/09/2003 05:51PM #1
Thanks for the picture Ivan. It is excellent and the Wilksboro light dome is not all that bad compared to the Raleigh light dome I contend with nightly (when we used to have cloudless nights) in the Sagittarius region. I really need to escape from the light polluted skies of Raleigh and head up to Doughton Park some day soon.

I am curious about one thing. What are the park's operating hours? I can drive up from my parent's house in Mocksville and it should only be about an hour drive from there, but I was not sure if the gates are locked later at night.

Clear skies,
Steve Murphy
Raleigh, NC