IC5070 Pelican Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Object of February 14th: NGC2392

Started by Inge_S, 02/14/2011 01:47PM
Posted 02/14/2011 01:47PM Opening Post
There are not meny deep-sky objects suited for observation near full moon. However, some of the planetaries are bright enough to be seen quite well under moonlit conditions. The Eskimo nebula, NGC2392, is a good example. The brighter parts are visible even in small telescopes at full moon. The neubla bears magnification well, and 200 - 300x is at least needed to make out the more subtle details in it.
The best view ever I had of this planetary was with an 18-inch Dob. That time the sky was really dark, making the outer parts of the nebula much more conspicuous than I ever saw it before. The seeing was also very good that night, and I think this is essential to capture the finest details in the nebula.

To me NGC2392 appears green. Other people think it is bluish, and still others see hardly any colour at all. What is your opinion?
Posted 02/14/2011 03:44PM #1
One of my favorites. Under a dark sky and large dob the outer parts become alive and as a whole show some asymetry. And yes, it is visible under less than ideal conditions; from my home for example where a Mag 5 sky is a rarity. Passing directly overhead at this time of year is is an excellent target.

Jud

I Yam What I Yam!