Pluto

Started by mad_astronomer, 05/01/2002 04:56AM
Posted 05/01/2002 04:56AM Opening Post
I have never looked for pluto, but I am told that it should be well within reach of my 10" scope. I know that it is impossible to see anything more than a point of light, but what should I expect to see when I look for it. Also, does anyone have any tips for finding it.

"Though parted by a gulf more impassable than any sea, the telescope lets us traverse what otherwise had been barred and lands us at last above the shores we went forth to seek. Real the journey is, though incorporeal in kind. Since the seeing strange sights is the essence of all far wanderings, it is as truly tavel so the eye arrive as if the body kept it company." Pervcival Lowell
Posted 05/01/2002 02:59PM #1
I have looked at Pluto a number of times, mainly just for the fun of observing it. It should be an easy object in your 10", however it will not look anything different from any other 13th magnitude star. The only difference is that if you look again a day or two later, you will see it has moved.

The biggest help you will need in finding it is a good, detailed chart. Below is a chart I made with MegaStar which shows the position of Pluto for the next 3 weeks. Providing you have some charts like Sky Atlas 2000 to help you find the right area, this should help you locat the planet.

Good hunting!

Maurice

Attached Image:

maurice clark's attachment for post 61560

* Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day.
* Teach a man to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks.
Posted 05/01/2002 04:09PM #2
Maurice
Thanks for the chart! My partner's 6 year old son has an infatuation with astronomy and has been saying he wanted to see it. I got him and his father up early for a 3 AM soiree out to the big Dob to "find Pluto." With the help of the chart in Sky and Telescope and the Sky Commander I am sure I showed him the field it was in but couldn't honestly say which small point of light it was. The chart will help if I can talk his dad into another adventure. My hope is that the galaxies, globular clusters, and planetary nebula the youngster saw were more impressive than the look at "Pluto."