Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Staying warm

Started by mvollmer, 12/01/2002 06:35AM
Posted 12/01/2002 06:35AM Opening Post
OK, it's that time of the year again. Here in the frozen tundra of the midwest, I find I would enjoy my observing a little more if I could stay warm without being so layered I can't move. If you could define "state-of-the-art for keeping warm", what would it look like?
Posted 12/01/2002 02:21PM #1
Here in Minnesota I find the following combination to be satisfactory:

- Long underwear
- Pants & sweater & thick wool socks & hiking boots
- Big heavy tundra-style coat with matching gloves
- Nearby house or car handy for warm-ups
- Some hot tea
Posted 12/01/2002 06:21PM #2
Mike
The two most helpful additions to my winter observing wardrobe have been a Feathered Friend's "40 below" down pants and insulated boots bought off the REI web site that are made by Baffin Technologies and said to be good to minus 148 F. These boots are so warm that I no longer bother with multiple socks, my standard run of the mill wear 'em every day to work socks work fine inside these. The Feathered Friend's pants are so warm I have to drive to my observatory with no heat in the car to keep from burning up. I find myself wearing less clothes on my torso with these on. I also like those fingerless wool gloves that have a "flip down" mitten so that if your fingertips get cold you can flip the mitten top off the litle velcro patch on the back of the hand and bring them down to cover the fingertips for a while. Wool stocking hat seems to work better for me than hoods. One has to discipline oneself to exhale properly so that you aren't fogging/frosting eyepieces with exhaled breath.
No complaints about cold weather from me--the nights are longer, the transparency is better, West Nile is not a concern, and there are no bugs to swat.
Posted 12/03/2002 09:34AM #3
If you happen to live in an old Soviet-block nation, aviod old 55 gal drums that feel warm to the touch. Several of the last people who tried that trick are still in the hospital due to radiation piosoning...

But seriously in addition to everything else mentioned in the previous posts, I like to use a fleece balclava (spelling?), it is an extremely warm and very convenient substitute for a scarf. I also use a Russian-style rabbit-fur hat. (only on the coldest nights, though, it's too warm for most conditions)

Greg

"Though parted by a gulf more impassable than any sea, the telescope lets us traverse what otherwise had been barred and lands us at last above the shores we went forth to seek. Real the journey is, though incorporeal in kind. Since the seeing strange sights is the essence of all far wanderings, it is as truly tavel so the eye arrive as if the body kept it company." Pervcival Lowell
Posted 12/03/2002 09:40AM #4
Mike,

I agree. Also good is a turtleneck-like neckwarmer.

Here's a slightly revised version of what I said on the topic on another forum:

In addition to what's already been said there are four important things to keep in mind:

1) Don't wear garments made of material that will trap perspiration, e.g. cotton.
2) Standing on a rug or a mat will cut heat loss through your feet.
3) Keep your head warm.
4) Mittens are warmer than gloves.

In the coldest Pennsylvania weather I wear four or five layers including duotherm underwear, ski bibs or coveralls, and at least two layers on my head (a ski cap and a hood or two hoods). I keep a light right hand glove in a pocket to wear when I need to manipulate equipment.

Dave Mitsky

Chance favors the prepared mind.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Posted 12/12/2002 02:19PM #5
For anybody truly interested in this topic, one of our members has done a lot of research and will be presenting his experience and advice at the Riverside Astronomical Society meeting at La Sierra University, Riverside, California, this Saturday night, December 14, 7:30 p.m. See Rivastro.org for details.

Alex