Making AstroMart better -

Started by dhavalbbhatt, 07/25/2020 02:57AM
Posted 07/25/2020 02:57AM Opening Post
Here is one thing that people ought to be doing - remove their sold listings. It is beyond ridiculous that people will type in the heading of their ad that their product has sold but won't actually mark the ad as sold. 

Why can't AM moderators ding a point from folks that leave their ads on - it surely is a strain on the hardware where they manage the data?

Thanks and CS!
Posted 07/25/2020 04:05AM #1
Originally Posted by Dhaval Brahmbhatt
Here is one thing that people ought to be doing - remove their sold listings. It is beyond ridiculous that people will type in the heading of their ad that their product has sold but won't actually mark the ad as sold. 

Why can't AM moderators ding a point from folks that leave their ads on - it surely is a strain on the hardware where they manage the data?

Thanks and CS!

Actually the general preference is to mark them as sold and to leave the sold listings up.....when trying to price something you are selling it comes in very handy to be able to review what they have sold for previously.

I wouldnt hold my breath for that policy to be changed......

When reviewing new ads the system defaults to not showing you sold ads anyway......you have to tell it you want to see sold ads.....when searching it does show sold items yes, but see the top paragraph.....

20" MidnighTelescopes f/5
8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
Parallax PI250 10" F/5 Newt
Vixen FL102S,NA140SS,R200SS
80mm Stellarvue Nighthawk with WO APOupgrade lens, 90mm f/16.67 Parallax Achro
LXD75/LX200, Mini-tower, GP-DX, CG5 ASGT, LXD650, GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-150EX, GM-200 and a Gemini G40
4" portable AP convertable 44" or 70" pier
Stellarvue M7 Alt-Az, TSL7 Pier/Tripod
12.5" f/5 MidnighTelescopes DOB Swayze optics
Monroe GA
Posted 07/25/2020 04:10AM | Edited 07/25/2020 05:11AM #2
I find that interesting. If I want to research pricing, I can always run a search for sold and unsold items. Besides, it's not like there are plenty of the same item that I am selling that are on AM all the time, so regardless, I would imagine that one is going to have to run a search for that particular item anyways. 

I have to admit, viewing items that are already sold, is very annoying. 

CS!
Posted 07/25/2020 06:41AM | Edited 07/25/2020 06:50AM #3
Originally Posted by Dhaval Brahmbhatt
I find that interesting. If I want to research pricing, I can always run a search for sold and unsold items. Besides, it's not like there are plenty of the same item that I am selling that are on AM all the time, so regardless, I would imagine that one is going to have to run a search for that particular item anyways. 

I have to admit, viewing items that are already sold, is very annoying. 

CS!

If the sold items are removed you cant search them period...... lol  However I think I have a cure for you....

If you click on the classifieds page then click the "Search " option you have a whole list of options to customize your search..... Note the circled items in the screen capture below. Also note the option with the arrow pointing at it which gives you even more parameters to narrow your search. Note the default is "any" which will include both sold and unsold items.....

Attached Image:

Greg Shaffer's attachment for post 171233

8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
LXD75/LX200, Mini-tower, GP-DX, CG5 ASGT, LXD650, GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-150EX, GM-200 and a Gemini G40
Monroe GA
Posted 07/25/2020 06:59AM #4
Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

If the sold items are removed you cant search them period...... lol  However I think I have a cure for you....

If you click on the classifieds page then click the "Search " option you have a whole list of options to customize your search..... Note the circled items in the screen capture below. Also note the option with the arrow pointing at it which gives you even more parameters to narrow your search. Note the default is "any" which will include both sold and unsold items.....
Greg,
I never said that sold items should be removed. I feel like you may have misunderstood what I was saying. 

There are ads on AM where if an item is sold, the poster of the ad/item leaves the ad on with stuff like "Pending to..." or "Sold to.." in the subject line. The ad is never "marked" sold using the "Mark as sold" button/link. Those are the ones that I get frustrated about. Once an ad is marked as sold, it goes in the "sold" bucket, and using the search functionality, I can very well search for it.

BTW, I do know how to use the search functionality, I have been using AM for quite a while now.

Thanks and CS!
Posted 07/25/2020 09:33AM | Edited 07/25/2020 09:34AM #5
Ahhh sorry.....not the 1st time not reading carefully bit me in the ass lol

"Here is one thing that people ought to be doing - remove their sold listings."

I basically saw the above and assumed from there without paying attention to the rest....

For the record I agree regarding not actually marking ads as sold using the tools of the site mucks up the works....

However, there are no moderators to deal with such issues, one person runs the site and has a full time business to run on top of that.......

8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
Monroe GA
Posted 07/25/2020 09:41AM #6
Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer
Ahhh sorry.....not the 1st time not reading carefully bit me in the ass lol
Been there, done that - so know the feeling. No harm, no foul. Everything's cool. 

CS!
Posted 11/15/2020 12:13AM #7
Every time i attempt to narrow down my searches by filling in the boxes (most confusing) i generall am unsuccessful and just plain give up. One night I was so desperate hunting for an item that I actally waded through hundreds of ads with SOLD on them and was very pleased to finally encounter what I was looking for and so I happily accepted the 3 hours lost and sent a message to the vendor. But the answer back was a let down. He sold it YEARS ago and was amazed that I actually contacted him.

So for now i give up completely and value my time. If an eyepiece is worth 150 brand new and 75 used but costs me 4 hours of searching plus my blood pressure goes thru the ceiling its better to buy new. Its a shame because a lot of us amateur astroomers are on shoestring budgets and the basic idea of an ASTROMARKET is good but this just isnt worth the pain and frustration.

John
Amateur Astronomer
Dominican Republic
Posted 11/15/2020 01:09AM #8
Originally Posted by John Van Allen
Every time i attempt to narrow down my searches by filling in the boxes (most confusing) i generall am unsuccessful and just plain give up. One night I was so desperate hunting for an item that I actally waded through hundreds of ads with SOLD on them and was very pleased to finally encounter what I was looking for and so I happily accepted the 3 hours lost and sent a message to the vendor. But the answer back was a let down. He sold it YEARS ago and was amazed that I actually contacted him.

So for now i give up completely and value my time. If an eyepiece is worth 150 brand new and 75 used but costs me 4 hours of searching plus my blood pressure goes thru the ceiling its better to buy new. Its a shame because a lot of us amateur astroomers are on shoestring budgets and the basic idea of an ASTROMARKET is good but this just isnt worth the pain and frustration.

John
Amateur Astronomer
Dominican Republic

Sounds like the issue is not Astromart but rather with the seller who didnt mark their item as sold as they should have. Unless of course you actually contacted someone about an item which was marked sold years ago as your post implies.

You do not have to see ANY items that are marked sold as what you are shown has options which are in your control. As for sellers that do not mark their items sold, that would be beyond Astromarts control......

8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
Monroe GA