Andromeda (M31), M110, and M32

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Bright crater

Started by slotdrag, 03/20/2008 09:11PM
Posted 03/20/2008 09:11PM Opening Post
At about the seven oclock area there is a real bright crater can somebody tell me the name of it ?.
Posted 03/21/2008 05:32AM #1
That's not much to go on, but there is a good chance you are talking about Aristarchus. It is very bright and noticeable.

Clear skies, Alan
Posted 03/21/2008 05:47AM #2
Well the seven o'clock position can mean different things depending on what you are using to view the moon. Binoculars give you a correct image orientation while a refractor with a mirror diagonal will reverse left and right while maintaining the correct top and bottom orientation. A Newtonian reflector will give still another upside down image. I will make the assumption you were using binoculars or even you unaided eye. If so, I suspect you are talking about Tycho. It is by far the brightest crater in the position you are referring. Here is a very useful link you can use to get the names of many of the features of the Moon. It shows the Moon as a hole and is then broken down into smaller sections where you can mouse over craters and other objects and the website will show you the names of them.
http://www.lunarrepublic.com/atlas/index.shtml

Hope this helps,
DanL