Evening Grosbeak

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Early Autumn New Moon Spotting

Started by curtrenz, 09/30/2008 08:43AM
Posted 09/30/2008 08:43AM Opening Post
Who will be the first to spot the early autumn New Moon with naked eyes after sunset? The Dark Moon was in geocentric longitudinal conjunction with the Sun on 2008 SEP 29 at 08:12 UT (03:12 CDT). The first opportunity for North Americans will come on October 1. Venus will serve as a guide. Here in the months surrounding the autumnal equinox, young Moon spotting can be difficult for northern observers as the twilight ecliptic has tilted toward an unfavorable position.

I’ve created a graphic previewing the western sky as viewed from Chicagoland 25 minutes after sunset on October 1, although it should well serve most North Americans. The Moon will be visible about 5° to the lower left of Venus. The graphic can be seen by clicking: http://www.curtrenz.com/astronomical.html

Photos or descriptions of the early autumn New Moon would be welcome additions to this thread. Please include the date, time, time zone and location. Good Luck!

Below is a photo I took 30 minutes after sunset on 2007 SEP 13 of the Moon aged 2.5 days, circumstances similar to what we might expect this year on October 1.

For astronomical graphics, including
monthly wallpaper calendar, visit:
CurtRenz.com/astronomical

Curt Renz
Posted 09/30/2008 01:46PM #1
Curt: I am going to give it shot this evening (9-30) if it is clear. I will be viewing from an 800 foot hill that overlooks the Pacific Ocean so I am hopeful that I will get a clean view. I will be using a 4 inch refractor. At sunset the moon should be at 5 degrees altitude and 20 degrees south of the spot where the sun sets.

Think there's a chance??

Jon